1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help drying out a muddy run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LindsayB, Jan 18, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We have had drizzling rain for the past three days and today the sun is finally coming through the clouds. Our coop is very dry but the run is a disgusting muddy pit. It doesn't smell to good either [​IMG]...I feel so bad for the girls for having to walk around in it. We went to home depot a few days ago to get some clear plastic roofing to put over the run. And we plan on covering it this afternoon or tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to help the run dry out faster? We also have sand and gravel to put in the run, should I wait until the mud dries or spread that out now?

2. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    lol wow, thank you!

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    We have thick clay soil where I live. And even though we don't get that much rain, their run can get pretty muddy and stay that way.

We drove over to a park this weekend and raked up several trash bags of pine needles and dumped those into their run. And let them scatter them all around. They work really well. They don't mold or rot as quickly as other things.

They had fun scratching and spreading them all around. And they provide a pretty good barrier between the mud. All of the girls were out sitting in the pine needles all weekend. And they never go sit over in that part of their yard because it's always too muddy.

Amy

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I feel ya-I ate it big this morning when I went to feed and(ironically) water them.
    I'm trying to sand mine in, but good luck getting a dump truck in here right now.
    No worries, though, in a few months, it'll be a HOT, dustbowl down here and we'll be begging for rain. [​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    When ours gets to be a muddy mess we scatter a layer of chopped straw over it. When things dry out we rake up straw and put it in the compost pile. It works good and does not cost alot.

6. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Okay, I added a layer of pine shavings on top of the mud and so far its working pretty good. The girls seem pleased their feet are staying dry now. Thank God its chilly outside or their run would of smelled even worse! Soon as hubby gets home we'll add the sand over the shavings and cover the run. I've waited so long for the run to be covered and can't wait for it to be done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by