Need Help! Duck pipped on Saturday

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cmccumber, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cmccumber

cmccumber Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    This is my second viable duck and I'm worried. I noticed Saturday morning that it had pipped in the egg turner so I moved it to the still incubator.. It pipped through the membrane yesterday a little and stopped. It has been very vocal until this afternoon and I removed some shell around the pipped end which is the large end. It appears to be getting tired. I opened a small area of the membrane where he pipped and I can see the eye looking at me but it is pretty wet in there...no blood is visible and the shell peels away very easily from the membrane. Anyone have any suggestions...It is a big egg and although I can see the eye looking at me, I can't see his beak. Do I help? and if so...how much? His chirp is getting weak!

[​IMG]

This is the most recent pic at 9:40pm. Anybody have suggestions as to whether I should continue bases on pic. He can't get out in the position he's in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. cmccumber

Feb 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

I would give him a little help at this point that is if you would
    like to keep him/her give your duckling some room to move
    the head around and maybe crack some more shell so there
    is more room for the expansion of the lungs ........

gander007 [​IMG]

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Look's like you have a viable duckling there so you might as well
    help it out a bit but if you run in to any blood stop and give it some
    time to itself,,, also are there any more egg's in the incubator ???

5. cmccumber

Feb 17, 2014
    Gander007...I posted a pic of the stage we are at...don't know if it helps with suggestions or not. Where should I open the membrane up at this point?

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

7. cmccumber

Feb 17, 2014
    Yes...there are 2 other eggs in there at this time but not due to hatch until another 1-2 days. I only have the other incubator with egg turner in it and many more eggs...should I temporarily place the 2 others gently into it until I can get this one helped along? I'm a nervous wreck...lol

8. cmccumber

Feb 17, 2014
    Thank you Mr MKK Farms

9. [​IMG]
    Gently help it out if you need to! I think there are some threads on BYC about helping chicks from the shell!

10. cmccumber

Feb 17, 2014
    This is what it looks like upon opening where his beak is. There is no blood but fleshy looking, looks like he's turned around, maybe hasn't absorbed everything. I'm frustrated because I'm so new to this I can't tell what's good or bad at this point. I know he can't get out the way it's positioned. Please Help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by