need help! Duck suddenly lame???

Josh45640

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
SE Ohio
I have 5 Pekin ducklings. They are a few weeks old, just starting to get a lighter tint to them but still fuzzy. They have been doing great up until today. We are having an easter dinner today and I thought that it would be nice to take the ducks and let the kids play with them in the grass. So I caught them (had to run them down) and put them in a transfer cage. They were all fine then. When I took them out (they were in the cage for about 10 minutes), one cant walk. It kind of waddles on its knees. He acts like he cant stand all the way up all of a sudden. What is wrong? I couldnt detect any breaks or dislocations. I hope he snaps out of it. I dont want the kids to see him like this.

I would put him on "box rest" for a day or two, and see if that helps. He might have pulled something and will need time to recover. Many times when my duck would come up lame (he has a bad leg from a raccoon attack 6.5 years ago, and he's almost 7 years now and still going strong), cage rest for a day or two would get him right back to normal. He's never really sound, but you can definitely tell the difference. I hope your little one gets better soon!

Thanks. Thats what im doing with him now. I just thought that it was weird how it happend all of a sudden. Ive never had one do this with no apparent injury.

i have had this happen a lot with my adult ducks, sudden inability to walk. But it has usually been due to them having a hard time hatching an egg. But i always do what Jeserah suggests - put them in a hutch with water and food available until they can stand again.

From your story, could that duckling have injured itself when you chased it down? Is it possible it tripped on something? Or maybe the stress of being chased caused the temporary lameness. In any case, putting it in a safe quiet place to recover is the best option.

And, i would definitely be very careful when allowing any child to play with a young animal. They are very fragile and can become injured quite easily. When friends come over to my farm and bring their kids, i never leave them alone with any of my animals. They can pet my chickens or ducks, but only if i'm the one holding them.

i sure hope your duckling recovers soon.

Quote:
I doubt that it was injured. It didnt trip or get stepped on. I didnt really "chase" them down, but I did have to corral them. I should have chose my words better. I was trying to point out that they were running/walking fine when I caught them. Maybe the stress. This is the first time that they have been moved since I bought them.

Your idea is what I had in mind. I was going to let the ducks play around in the grass in a mini round pen that I made. If the kids wanted to touch them I would get one and let the kid pet or hold it (depending on age) while supervised. My kids are very good with them becuase they are around them alot, but there will be kids there that have probably never seen a chick or duckling up close too.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom