Need Help- E Coli after Cocci? EVERYTHING is going wrong!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kdykhouse, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kdykhouse

kdykhouse New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Clermont, FL
    I am a new chicken mom and I feel as if everything that could go wrong has!!!

Here it is in a nutshell. Its a saga...sorry.

I week ago (Saturday) one of my three Delaware hens came out of the nest box acting very drowsy...
    I watched her all day and she stood puffed up, in roost position with her eyes shut. She was not interested in food or water.

I took her inside and began giving her tetrymiacin antibiotics with electrolytes.
    That night she burned a high fever and began gasping for breath intermittently.
    By Sunday evening she stood with her head down and eyes shut, rarely opening them. I began to feed her by syringe a mash of her pellets and electrolyte solution.

After speaking to a friend with a huge amount of chicken experience on Monday, the thought was she may have cocci - so I began giving her Sulmet by syringe...she would not drink on her own. The fever abated but the hen began to act as if she had wry neck, head to the side and twisted, poor balance. I began giving her vitamin E to help amend a possible vitamin imbalance after fighting the cocci...

Tuesday I came home and found a huge amount of GUCK coming out of her left ear. Her balance was completely gone, she basically sat in just one spot. I began force feeding baby bird formula to keep her going.

Now a week after the initial onset she is acting almost as if there is some neurological issue...she tosses her head (ear infection?) and almost NEVER opens her eyes. She is wasting away.

MEANWHILE...out in the coop....my two remaining girls seemed to be okay. One hen (Debra) had a little cough but nothing too extreme. I had been treating these two birds with the Sulmet and spraying with oxine just in case their sister had transmitted her illness to them...

Yesterday, Debra's comb and wattle began to darken, she began breathing, gasping for breath. She was still eating and drinking. She did seem to have developed a very dirty butt over the course of the day though...lots of yellowish foamy diarrhea.
    After talking with a friend, we decided that there must be a secondary infection forming so I started them on Baytril.

Today, Debra seemed to be holding her own. She was eating, drinking. I went to check her around 5:00 and she had deteriorated very quickly...Gasping for breath, very labored. I went inside to make her a warm bed to sleep in (gone 5 minutes) and came back to find her dead on the ground.

What the heck is happening???

Now my last "healthy" hen is inside away from the coop until I can bleach the snot out of it...
    She seems okay, but after all the fun I've had I am very nervous for her!

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am continuing with Baytril for my two remaining girls...The first one will probably have to be culled if she doesn't start to improve...it's horrible watching her labor!

2. kdykhouse

kdykhouse New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Clermont, FL
    I forgot to mention that they are all about 9 months old and have all begun laying...the most beautiful grande brown eggs ever.
    I feel like such a failure!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. kdykhouse

kdykhouse New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Clermont, FL
    Thanks so much...it could be that too. Right now I am hoping the Baytril will do its magic and my one healthy hen makes it through unscathed. Checked her this morning and she seems vigorous, a little mouth breathing, but that could be from the stress of moving out of her coop and watching her sister die. :( I can't believe I lost Debra so quickly! Is it normal to have this much trouble with disease?

5. All i can give is support [​IMG] even the worst looking birds can still pull through, I can share many a'stories about horrible chickens living (look im starting to sound like an old Geezer, LOL) 'hope your hen gets better, ive never had to deal with cocci, hope i never have too

Im gonna be staying up all night so I can give lots of support (and boring stories [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by