Need help edentifying a bird

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by poultrykeeper08, Mar 30, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I work at a zoo and the owner just got these birds in an i have no idea as to what they are , He told me the name but i couldnt understand him that well as he doesnt speak the greatest english . . I know he said somehting that sounded like it started wih a C or K but then again i may be wrong .They laid an egg and he gave it to me to incubate so i need to find out what kind of bird it is

The egg is the size of a big goose egg , and off white

The birds are about the size of a female turkey and the females have a brownigh red color with black under belly i believe
    they also have feathers on there hed like muscovy do that go up but they are a longer feather but not as long as a cockatoos

The male has a big yellow knob at the begining of his beak like a malse swan has

They eat fish

ANy one have any idea

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Sounds like an albino turkey crossed with a muscovy duck, with just a little bit of swan mixed in. [​IMG] I really dont know, but it sounds pretty interesting, do you have any pics of the birds you can upload?

3. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Lol i know ! No i dont have any pics but i think i found out what it is . A Great curassow

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:If it is them, then I hope they are feedin them more than just fishies [​IMG]

"its diet consists mainly of fruits, figs and arthropods."

neat birds! [​IMG]

5. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    What zoo do you work at ?

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Would it be a Chachalaca?Go to www.gbwf.org,click on Cracids in the left corner,there is no image available,but if you scroll to the right ,I believe that is a chachalaca.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Tony that is the site i was loooking at . I thought it was what you were saying but then i seem pics of the great curassow

Any body know the incubation temp and humidity for these guys ?

8. CheerfulChaos

CheerfulChaos Out Of The Brooder

If it is a great curassow, that is one fancy looking bird. Sorry, can't help with incubation temps.

9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There is a guy ib Middleboro,Ma that raises them.I do not know the incubation on these.Are you an APWS member?
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Oh really Lol do you have any info on him ? No im not a member im just trying to figure out the info for me and the zoo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by