1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help - egg close to hatch missing shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joyful-homemaker, Apr 30, 2009.

1. joyful-homemaker

joyful-homemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    I have a broody hen setting on some eggs. She only gets up once a day for a short time but while up today another hen tore into the eggs. I found one dead chick looked to be day 19 or 20, with the shell removed and the membrane intact. I found another egg with most of the shell removed but the membrane completely in tact. The chick in that egg is kicking and moving. the shell that is left is on the large end. I am afraid the mother will crush the chick and am wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the egg and put it in the incubator. Maybe I should just let it be. Any one have any advice?

2. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    I would say fire the bator up and wrap it in a warm moist towel. You don't want the membrane to dry out. Get the humidity up in the bator to about 65% maybe even 70%. Right now put it under a heat lamp in the towel and keep it warm and moist.

After thought....You might get away with just the heat lamp and a moist towel. It needs to absorb the yolk sack before it hatches.

Good Luck!!

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I don't know anything about hatching but logically I would assume for just one chick that if you have the time to keep an eye on it you should be able to get away with just keeping the membrane moist with a paper towel (use warm water) and the heat lamp, that way it's easy to watch and replace moisture when necessary. Good luck!

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    good luck good luck good luck!

5. joyful-homemaker

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    I was unable to get a bator last nite:(. I checked on it before bed and momma had kicked it out and it was cold. I tucked it under her wing just in case it had any chance but it was no longer moving.
    To my amazement, I went out this morning and heard very loud baby chirping! It had piped! I took your suggestions and wrapped it in a warm wet paper towell. I removed a tiny bit of the membrane that was stuck to the beak, then put the whole thing back under momma. She didn't even mind the paper towell! While doing this i discovered another piped one and one rocking and chirping. I have pictures but forget how to post them.

6. joyful-homemaker

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    sorry these are so blurry but they give you a good idea of what the egg looks like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if the chick does hatch out ok, I will post pics![​IMG]

7. joyful-homemaker

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    its hatched! the shell/membrane is still stuck slightly to its umbilical area, is this normal?

8. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Yes it is normal. Congrats on the new baby. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. joyful-homemaker

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    the chick looks good, but weak. It cant seem to hold its head up very well yet. I hope that improves with time. I checked on mama and found another egg the same way. Apparently mama thinks her chicks are snacks. I removed the rest of the eggs and put all but the new shell less one under my other broody.

10. joyful-homemaker

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    momma tore into three eggs, all of which are hatched now. They are all doing well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by