Need help! Egg pipped on the wrong side.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maitia17960, Sep 8, 2009.

1. maitia17960

maitia17960 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Please help. My serama egg has pipped on the small end of the egg. I can see the beak he is moving. Help what do I do now. Do I wait and see or try to help.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He'll probably be fine. It may have a bit more trouble getting out since that end is more narrow, but I've had them come on out with little trouble.

3. maitia17960

Aug 15, 2009
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Thanks for answering so soon. I will watch biting my fingernails the whole time.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know what you mean! Let us know if the baby gets out okay.

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I havent come across that as of yet, but its good to know that they will be fine it it happens, how long does it take that way and how long before you know there having problems and you intrevene???

or do you just let it happen? I'd like to know incase it ever happens to me, Im on day 18 today and LOCKDOWN!!!! Full Bator too.

6. maitia17960

Aug 15, 2009
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Sadly I don’t think the little one made it. I don’t see any more movement. I will still watch but I think it died. I never heard it calling just saw the beak opening like it was gasping for air. I think it piped wrong and got fluid in it lungs. I didn’t open the incubator up because another one was zipping. He hatched just fine.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    No harm in checking, have him out and shine a light in and check for movement since the other hatched. It may be he's stuck or just resting.

8. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Make sure if you do have a look, you mist the egg with warm water to keep the humidity up.

~Cherlyn

9. maitia17960

Aug 15, 2009
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    The chick didn’t make it. I am sad about this. The poor little one made it the entire why to hatching then died. Does any one know why it piped on the wrong end of the egg? Was it something I did to cause this? I stopped turning on day 17. The last ones piped and hatched on day 20. These two piped on day 19. The temp. and humidly has been good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because if it was something I did I don’t want to do it again.

10. luvchikies

luvchikies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I had one hatched at the 18th day! I was turning the eggs for the last time and I saw an egg that had a pip on the wrong side so I just quickly turned the eggs and he hatched fine but I really don't know why they pip on the wrong side [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by