Need help/experience sharing on peppermint oil in coops

BennieAnTheJets

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 4, 2016
Virginia, USA
Hi All,

Sorry I have been so absent. Grieving and preoccupied.

Have a huge mouse problem and now snakes - just learned we also have water moccasins (in addition to copper heads) - my coop and run reek of mouse urine/smell/stink - mostly the run - I need to clean it out as much as possible and was going to put essential oil of peppermint in the corners and along the walls under the bedding - **but** I got 3 broodies sitting in the coop in teh corner under a board with not much ventilation and hesitate to put such strong essential oil in "their corner" - bird lungs are more sensitive than ours. Also, my dog kennel butts up to the run, so would my dog go nuts/be hurt from essential oil of peppermint?

I don't want to hurt the birds or dogs - just get the mice to move along (got a you tube video that tested the noise makers and the peppermint oil - noise did not work, peppermint oil really did - in an overnight, filmed test with mice trained to get treats in a test area box) - anyway, has anyone used essential oil of peppermint around the animals or done some research into what it may do to them/if it is ok for them???

Any input much appreciated. Thanks for reading!!!

I want to clean the coop and run on Tuesday and wonder if I should use the oil? It would be great to use, if ok for the birds and dogs, since my mouse trapping is a losing battle. Repelling them would be great. But not if it hurts my birds or dogs!

I’m no expert here, but I did use peppermint oil in my coop last year for mice. Now, I didn’t have it right next to where my flock sleeps, so I’m not sure about that close proximity. But I did notice mice using other paths rather than where I had put the oil.
In the end, I just have too many mice and have to resort to other methods.
But I never saw my flock react to the strong smell. I wouldn’t know about the dog, as there are no animals allowed or possible in my coop.
But I would assume the dog would smell it a mile away and know whether it wanted to be around or not.

I’m no expert here, but I did use peppermint oil in my coop last year for mice. Now, I didn’t have it right next to where my flock sleeps, so I’m not sure about that close proximity. But I did notice mice using other paths rather than where I had put the oil.
In the end, I just have too many mice and have to resort to other methods.
But I never saw my flock react to the strong smell. I wouldn’t know about the dog, as there are no animals allowed or possible in my coop.
But I would assume the dog would smell it a mile away and know whether it wanted to be around or not.
Thanks, sloanbychoice.
Yeah, the dog has a kennel attached to the run, but I thought about leaving him out until it dissipates a bit - I think I will try it - I am desperate.

Still, the mice a animals, too. I try to do what I can to relocate and repell and not torture them! They have families and speak - sometimes in the bucket when I take them to the woods. Very sweet, cute critters - just happen to be a bother when they take advantage of what we provide and they attract snakes which cinched the deal for me: they gotta go!

You may also be interested in this:

Back
Top Bottom