need help fast again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swamperkk, Oct 20, 2014.

1. swamperkk

swamperkk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    i have jungle fowl and im losing them to a disease i dont know how to help them,the hen has ruffle feathers,wings low walk slowey and is very skinny she too will die soon,tried valbazen mix 1cc to 6cc of water and put 2cc down the throat on the last one did not do any good,i also gave them a shot to tylan 50 hoping it will work but they died also,if anyone had the same thing happen to your chicken and got them cured please help,,,thanks i took a pic of my sick hen and the post says i dont have permission to send a pic,,,?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try Corid (amprollium) for possible coccidiosis. Symptoms of this are sleepiness and weakness, standing or sitting around puffed up with neck drawn into shoulders, ruffled feathers, poor appetite, and diarrhea (with or without blood.) Cocci can be common in chicks and in older ones when birds move to new soil, or are exposed to new birds. Valbazen for worming should be given undiluted 1//2 for most standard chickens once and repeated in 10 days. Giving them more volume can have a tendency to cause aspiration or choke them. Most states have a vet with the dept. of agriculture that will do a necropsy on your chicken to find a cause of death, in case it is something contagious. What are the ages of the chickens you are losing?

1 person likes this.
  3. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    they are 6 months old,if that what it is what else can i give them?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid is the best treatment for coccidiosis. Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) are also used to treat cocci, but Corid is thought to treat more strains. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid, per gallon of water for 5-7 days as the only source of water. Corid is found in the cattle medicines of feed stores. Be sure to keep the droppings cleaned up and out of waterers and feeders, since that is how it spreads. It stays in the soil for months. Here is some reading:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

5. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    ok thanks,did i mention they are free ranging,they come in the eveing to roost i lock them up so no dogs cats racoon or other varmits cant get in,i have a hot wire around my roosting house,open up the doors feed them crack corn and off they go

6. kangareaux

kangareaux Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Agree that it sounds like Coccidosis, Where are you located? From your name, I assume Louisiana. You can find Corrid at Tractor Supply. Works wonders. Oh, and DON'T give any vitamins while treating for coccidosis. They feed on one of the vitamins (One of the B's I think) So giving vitamins almost cancels out the treatment. ;)

I'm near Denham Springs. If you are nearby and need help, let me know. :)

7. swamperkk

May 8, 2014
    i sure will i live in gonzales,la,,,,thanks

8. kangareaux

kangareaux Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    I'm actually not too far from you. I live closer to Port Vincent than Denham.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When Corid is completed, you should give vitamins and probiotics to replace vitamins that are lost, and to reintroduce beneficial gut bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by