Need Help Fast..innards Coming Out??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimntep, Apr 14, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't know enough about prolapse..maybe that's what this is. She has what appears to be innards coming out of her butt! She had a bit of a poopy bottom for a few days, so I used the ACV in the water and kept an eye on her. She doesn't act especially uncomfortable, but it sure looks bad and has gotten worse just in the last hour or so. What, if anything, can I do??

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    sounds like a prolaspe. Get her away from the other hens asap, they will peck the tissue and kill her. wash the tiuuse off with warm water, apply sugar or honey or prep.H on the tiuuse, give it a few minutes , this will reduce the swelling, then with a gloved clean finger gently push the tissue back in her, she may strain and push it back out, so you may have to do it several times. keep her in a darken room for the week to prevent her from laying until she heals up, but keep her away from the others until she is better. good luck

3. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:I totally agree. Good luck.

4. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    OK. I got her away from the others. She didn't like being held upside down and having her rear end washed at all, but hubs and I got the job done and finished her off with a little betadine and a fine mist of Veterycine. She's in a dog crate in the darkest corner of the coop. Her hiney looks horrible..really red and irritated, but the tissue has already sucked back in a bit except for when she poops. Poor baby! I gave her a bowl of water and some lettuce. I read that I should feed her very little and mostly greens, but how much does she need so that I don't starve her over the next several days? Would some Poly Vi-Sol be a bad idea?

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I think the poly sol would be good for her. If the tissue des not go all the way back in soon, you may need to reduce any swelling with the suger, prep.h. I have read here that folks have good luck with the sugar. You can look up prolaspe in the search, lots of info. here on that.Hope she gets better.

6. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Thanks, guys. She has stood all day! Could her bottom be so sore that she won't sit? How long could she go on like that? Her bottom is not as swollen as it was, but still very red and irritated looking and not as much hanging out. Should I clean and medicate again and finish with the honey?

7. embrown

embrown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Hello, I have a hen in the same condition. She is a 2 yo isa brown. We just found her with the prolapse yesterday afternoon, we keep a close watch on our flock so it could not have been that way for long. I have tried to put honey on it with no difference. We have used prep H with no difference, we have sprayed it with provodine Iodine to clean the area, we have given her a bath and pushed the prolapse in many, many times. The minute she has to pooh it comes out, and since she pooh's often it just keeps coming out. She is in a pet carrier, in the warm house with a blanket over the cage to keep her in the dark. I have added electrolytes to her water and given her the polyvisol. Yesterday we only gave her the water, but we noticed that she has grown very thin as we can feel a prominent keel bone, I can feel the bones around her vent area and her neck feels so thin. She does not look thin as her feathers are puffy so we did not notice she was not well, but once you pick her up it is very noticeable. The others had been pecking on her as her sattle area is bare as is her rump, that must have started over the weekend when we were gone and our neighbors were caring for them. Today I gave her some chick food in a mash as I read that the medication and neutrients may be better, but I hate to feed her because pooping makes it all fall out again. But, she is so thin I feel I have to feed her so she can get stronger. Tonight I gave her a scrambled egg because it is not much food but is packed with neutrition. Please, can anyone tell me what else I can or should feed her, I read something about greens but could not find anything on which ones or how much. Can anyone suggest anything else to do. The prolapse will not stay in more than ten minutes. I even read, in some post that one person just left it all out, cleaned it and it just went back in, but I do not see that happening. There are many threads on this subject but I did not find anything other than what I have tried, well, I did find some that said to cull the bird, but I hate to do that unless there is no other hope and she is suffering.

Thanks for your help with the above questions and for helping me in anyway you can.

All your help has helped me in every other chicken issue we have had, so I have to believe that this one can be taken care of too.

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by