Need HELP Fast!! New Chick Oozing green goo. BLUE ORP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneCowboy, Mar 29, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I had trouble hatching out some blue orps this week and one of them is starting to do really well. Her eye had goo that glued it shut, and I took care of that this morning, so she could see out of both eyes. Well, I was trying to clean her up a little and noticed that her whole bum was pasted up. I took her in and was rincing the poo off and it's a mess. Well her navel hadn't healed really well and the more poop I cleaned off then it started to bleed a little, I was very careful, but then she started oozing green goo. I'm assumeing from her yoke sac. What do I do!! Need help fast!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not quite sure what to do, D. I've heard of people actually putting bandaids across unhealed navels, though.

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I'll try anything. This little bugger is blue. I don't want to lose her. But I just couldn't leave all that poop caked in there. It still has some, but I had to stop.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds like maybe the drainage was backing up....maybe now since it's open it will improve. Maybe a little neosporin? I don't know what to tell you otherwise.

When you get a chance check your pm's...

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I just saw this and am wondering how your birdie is...I believe it is a condition called "omphalitis" ... here is some info on that:
    http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disbact.htm
    (see under COLOBACILLOSIS as well as the specific section on omphalitis a ways further in this article)

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    The little chicky died last night. It had some other problems too but it's still sad.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

LC...check your pms. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] I'm sorry, D.

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I'm so sorry about your chick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by