Need help fast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guscosby, Jan 22, 2014.

1. guscosby

guscosby Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I accedentally cut my chicks toe when trying to remove some tape. Will the toe be able to make it. It is more attached than what it was because it scabbed over.[​IMG]

2. jbake

jbake Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    hello if its still bleeding you should make sure if there is infection to get some iodine and put it on then if its bleeding put cornstarch on it till it stops. i cant really tell if its bad but if it is you should seperate the chicken from the flock and limit its walking. also watch it to make sure the bird hasnt pecked or made it worse. hope this helps and goodluck.

3. guscosby

Jan 20, 2014
    Ok thanks for the help. Is iodine poisinous to chickens? How do I apply it? And where would I get it?

4. jbake

jbake Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    iodine is used on almost all livestock for cuts and burns it is not poisonous to chickens unless you use it for internal use. humans sometimes purify water with. you can find it at your local drug store in the bandage section or at a country store. to apply it just take a q tip or cotton ball and put it in the iodine and apply to the wound then if you would like put some sterile gauze on it and wrap it in medical bandage the kind that you could use on horses legs, then check it and change it every day to prevent infection. ohhh and the iodine stains hands and clothes orange i made that mistake and dumped the whole bottle on me. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. goodluck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  5. guscosby

Jan 20, 2014
    Ok but will it help this[​IMG]

6. jbake

jbake Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    yes the iodine will prevent infection and and bandage will hold it all together and if the toe does fall off it would be fine as long as it doesnt bleed alot and you would then put cornstarch on it then iodine and wrap it in gauze and a bandage.

7. guscosby

Jan 20, 2014
    Is there anything to use if there is a infection already? Just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by