Need help fellow BYCers...injured wild bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmmcc123, Oct 26, 2011.

1. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Today I found a wet, injured Norther Flicker. I aways seem to attract injured and lost animals!

The first thing I did was take it to our local audubon society and didn't get much help. They said if I wanted I could drive it to one of to places which are each at least a hour and a half away. So, the suggested I could try to rehab it here at my house and gave me some wild bird seed. I was actually a bit shocked that that was all they offered, they didn't seem to want to get involved.[​IMG]

Well, since having chickens (and I plan on keeping this bird far away from my girls and practicing biosecurity) I feel confident that I can help the little guy. After my examination, it looks like he has a wound on his head near his ear (just a surface wound with missing feathers) and a bit of wing damage on each wing. It looks mostly like surface blood however one wing looks worse than the other and he isn't balancing well on his feet which I think is because his wings are wet and sore.

So far, I have rinsed his wounds with hydogen pyroxide and applied a triple antibiotic to his wounds. It almost looks like the wounds are at least a day old. He is full of spunk and had drank water and he did have bird seed in his poop. (I found him under the bird feeder at a clients house but they have a dog and 3 cats, not a good combo.) I am hoping it wasn't attacked by a cat because I heard they could get an infection from the cat, that would not be good. After treating his wounds, I wrapped him up to keep him from injuring his wings anymore by placing a clean cotton cloth and the a cut kid sized tube sock around him. He is resting now in a cat sized pet crate.

Does anyone have any suggestions on housing for him? I am thinking if his wing is broken (although it doesn't apprear to be) and I guess they fly south for the winter, I might need a longer term temporary housing for him. Also, do you think I could add some poultry vitamins to his water? Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!!! [​IMG]

Oh, and pictures right? [​IMG] Coming soon!

2. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Vitamins would be good. Give him a few days to recover and he might be fine, the wing could recover. He might just need some r&r.
    good luck.
    waiting on pics. [​IMG]

3. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Well, nevermind! [​IMG]

I must have put him through too much stress. I just went to check on him after writing this post and he has died. [​IMG]

Thanks anyways.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry. That's a bummer.

5. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Don't be hard on yourself, wild birds can handle very little stress before they die. He was probably already on his way out when you picked him up.

6. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Thanks you guys. I am feeling bad although I know I didn't mean to stress him out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by