Need help figuring out cause of death

Toddlebahns

Chirping
May 3, 2023
Easter egger, approximately 2 years old. A couple days ago I noticed her open mouth breathing and kind of panting. I decided to separate her. Next day, she wasn't very active, tail down and in a bit of a penguin stance. Open mouth breathing and panting was intermittent. Her belly was distended and firm. I thought possibly egg bound, peritonitis, salpingitis, or gleet. No vent discharge at the time. Gave Epsom salt bath and calcium. Repeated Epsom salt bath this morning. This afternoon her condition worsened. Laying down panting heavily with open mouth and some drool. Noticed white liquid discharge oozing from the vent. Went in to get supplies to clean her up and came back to a dead bird.

I examined her post mortom, could not feel an egg inside of her. Had the white liquid discharge and mouth had yellow, almost foamy, substance inside. As well as a large red bulge hanging from the top of mouth just past the back of the beak. Picture attached.

Currently considering trichomoniasis and wet fowl pox. Looking for any insight. As my main concern is caring for the rest of the flock. No other bird is exhibiting symptoms.

They have a large coop with pine bedding, a run, and a 1.5 acre pasture that they roam throughout the day.

Only other significant events are a fox attack about a month or so ago. And a new rooster that was just integrated.

Attachments

• 20230510_171737.jpg
    20230510_171737.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 34
I'm sorry about your hen.

The best way to get confirmation of your suspicions would be to bag and refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for diagnostics. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The material inside the beak could be Canker if there was a bad odor. Wet Fowl Pox is possible, but generally you would notice some lesions around the beak as well.

If you are concerned it's Canker, then adding Acidified Copper Sulfate to the flock's water for 3 days each month can help keep it under control.

I'm sorry about your hen.

The best way to get confirmation of your suspicions would be to bag and refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for diagnostics. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The material inside the beak could be Canker if there was a bad odor. Wet Fowl Pox is possible, but generally you would notice some lesions around the beak as well.

If you are concerned it's Canker, then adding Acidified Copper Sulfate to the flock's water for 3 days each month can help keep it under control.
I plan to do that. I've got her bag and the form filled out. Sending her today.

Figured I'd see if anyone had similar experiences... just an odd scenario.

I plan to do that. I've got her bag and the form filled out. Sending her today.

Figured I'd see if anyone had similar experiences... just an odd scenario.
20 different ailments can all share the same symptoms will little nuances in between. Id say time is of the essence here - otherwise you could afford to fiddle about a bit, trouble shooting.

20 different ailments can all share the same symptoms will little nuances in between. Id say time is of the essence here - otherwise you could afford to fiddle about a bit, trouble shooting.
Yea, sounds like it will take at least a week to get the results back. So hoping it doesn't start afflicting other flock members before I figure out the cause.

Back
Top Bottom