need help figuring out if mt duckling is sick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashnicole, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ashnicole

ashnicole New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    I have 4 pekin duckings about 2 weeks old 1 which is much smaller then the others who seems to keep opening its mouth as if its trying to quack and nothing comes out. It has been eating but I haven't seen it drink I tried to give it water but it doesnt want it. Is he/she okay?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I think you are right to be concerned. Have you tried dipping its bill into the water dish?

3. ashnicole

ashnicole New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    I have tried that and he just shakes its head and wont drink the water

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How are the temps in your brooder? sometimes they can get over heated and mouth opening can be a clue. Lil thing needs to drink if it is eating. Have you tried putting them into thigh deep warm water to see if it will drink and clean it's nares out? don't leave in the water too long though don't want them to chill.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. ashnicole

ashnicole New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    I havent tried putting him in warm water ill try. He isnt opening his mouth anymore but he is breathing heavy now:( im worried....the other 3 are fine i dont know why this lil one is being this way

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just so hard to say what could be wrong. when did this start? how long?

7. ashnicole

ashnicole New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    I only noticed it yesterday but im just worried he isnt drinking water and the only water he does get it when I wet the food for them. It seems like it get worse at night he is now sitting alone while the others eat. Going to hope my local vet can help him.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you check temps in the brooder like I asked, some ducklings are more susceptible to heat than others. 2weeks temps should be around 80* is there any discharge coming from nares? sounds like respiratory but could be heat also could be build up of ammonia in brooder from wet shavings, just taking guesses here but maybe things you can check on. I do hope you can get the lil to a vet. please let us know.

9. ashnicole

ashnicole New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    Im sad to say I woke up this morning and my lil one was dead :( I feel so bad like I could have done something sooner to help him.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] sometimes it just happens and even if you had taken the lil one to the vet it still may have not made it. Could have had something genetic going on, keep a close eye on the others, I'd add some unpasteurized ACV to their drinking water 1 Tab to 1 Gallon of water it's a tonic and helps to boost the immune system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by