Need help figuring out the breed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 10Momma14, Dec 15, 2014.

1. 10Momma14

10Momma14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Northwestern, Arkansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hello, I am new to the Back Yard Chicken page. I have raised chickens for a year and a half now. My flock is all different kinds of breeds. This past July I had a hen sit on some eggs from a farm that has all different breeds of chickens, I had 4 out of 11 eggs hatch. I could tell what 3 of the chicks were, but this one I could not figure out. I had never seen a chick look like the first picture does. The bottom picture shows him at 5 months, I have looked all over the internet to see if I could find out what he is. I have not had much success finding that out, he kinda looks like a Blue Andalusian. But he does not have the white ear lobes as they do, I wonder if as he matures if he will get them.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like a Blue Ameraucana to me. May not be pure, but Ameraucana is definitely in his genetics.

3. 10Momma14

Dec 15, 2014
    Northwestern, Arkansas
    But he doesn't have a berd like my Ameraucana have, and I have seen a pure bred Ameraucana rooster. He hatched out with a pure Black Australorp hen, Rode Island Red Rooster, and a Rode Island Red Ameraucana mix. I found a picture that looks just like him, its the Andalusian. This rooster has me racking my brain.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Best way to test would be to breed him to a white egg layer and see what color eggs his offspring lay. He looks mixed breed, whatever he is.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  6. 10Momma14

Dec 15, 2014
    Northwestern, Arkansas
    I don't care what he is, he is very beautiful. But it would be kinda nice to know what he is. you know what I mean.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Looks like a mix to me.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. ParklandPoultry

ParklandPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Tacoma, Washington
    He's very pretty, I'd guess an Americana and Andalusian. Not all Americanas have beards and some do have a full tail so it can be hard to tell. I have two Americana hens that have regular tails, no beards, and single combs but do have green legs and lay green eggs.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

He looks like a possible Blue Easter Egger to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by