Need help figuring out what is wrong with my drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Jan 22, 2011.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We have a 9 month old Pekin drake who seems to be sick and we cannot figure out what might be wrong with him. About a week ago my DH found him swimming and exhausted in the stock tank and he could not get out. My DH had to lift him out of the tank.
    Ever since that day he has seemed lethargic and he hasn't quacked once. Our other drake is quacking all the time. He seems to have stopped mating the hens. He's drinking but would not take treats from my hands today, Which is unusual.
    No other duck is acting 'off'.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I'm thinking about starting him on electrolytes tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could be so many things, but here are some questions.

Check his feet, eyes, nares, any place you might see signs of infection. It could be an infection, it could be parasites, it could be toxicity (he may have ingested metal, for instance).

Check his poop. Smell particularly strong, bad, putrid? Funny color?

I think getting him where it is warm, quiet, and where he can have clean water, vitamins, electrolytes, etc. will help.

Do you have a vet or poultry person who can help?

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:DITTO

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Good news today!!!

This morning when I went out to their pen he was standing with the other drake quacking as loud as he could (well, being a boy it isn't that loud).
    To make sure he was feeling better I fed them some frozen peas and he ate a good amount.
    This afternoon he was head bobbing and trying to mate with the hens.

Whew! That was scary. I still have no idea why he felt bad and I'll keep an eye on him for the next few days but I'm so glad he's feeling better. [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's great! He could have just pulled a muscle then become exhausted while swimming. It is so hard to know. Keep close watch, keep giving him a little extra TLC, and I pray he's out of the woods!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by