need help figuring out what kind of chicks i got!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tansyflower, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tansyflower

tansyflower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    hi there! my name is tansy and i need help figuring out what kind of chicks i got. there is a petting zoo that i have been getting mixed chicks from and i have some new ones that i cant seem to figure out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this 2 week old chick is all whit except for the black down its back, a spot on its head and a few black patches on its wings!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and i have three of these (two i think are pullets, one i think is a roo).

neither have feathered legs. i also got two buff colored chicks but i know those could literally be anything lol. so any thoughts on breed? thank you so much in advance :)

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Well, can't help with the 1st one, but the 2nd has coloring similar to my Welsummers' when they were chicks. If they are, you have good layers of dark eggs, Sue

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Since its a petting zoo and you have gotten mixed breeds before from them, its a safe bet that these are mixed as well

4. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    they order what is called a "mill run" which is pretty much a mixture of chicks the hatchery has on hand at that time. they dont actually breed/hatch chicks there! i should rephrase, i have gotten a MIX of breeds from them (EE, buff orpington, barred rock, silkies ect ect) in the past...but these guys are pretty little and i really have no clue what they are lol.

5. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    oh i was hoping they would be welsummers! crossing my fingers :)

6. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    i was just looking up the welsummer and apparently they should only have yellow legs...min definitely have darker more brown colored legs. the search continues i guess!!!

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    you'll have to wait a few more weeks as the brown one could be a few things along with the black and white one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by