need help figuring out which are buff and which are partridge

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yomama, Oct 28, 2010.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Hey all. Just got some new chicks, and in the order were 4 Silkies. I ordered 2 Buff Silkie pullets, 1 Partridge Silkie pullet, and 1 Partridge Silkie roo. I'm having a hard time figuring out which are which with at least two of them. I'd appreciate any imput. Thanks!
    Here they are.

Pretty sure this is a buff:

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this is a Partrige:

[​IMG]

Buff??:

[​IMG]

Partridge??:

[​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    1 buff, 3 partidge.

3. yomama

Well, that's a bummer. [​IMG] I ordered 2 buff and 2 partrige. I did say they could substitute if need be. Even though they have different markings now, (partridge) , do you think they will all end up looking the same, or is there different variations of the color?

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I couldn't tell you, as I don't raise anything that's partridge, my guess on coloration was based on what I've seen on here...sorry I can't be of more help! That top one might be your male though...

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, 2 of each color. The 3rd picture is a buff, but will just be poorly colored with lots of black.

6. yomama

Quote:Ugh! I hope not. I ordered 3 female and one male, and the male is supposed to be a partridge! You can't really tell in the photo, but the buff one is one of the smallest out of the group. I thought that would mean is was a girl?

7. yomama

Quote:I didn't think buffs had any black on them? I guess that's what you mean by poorly colored. Oh well, I suppose I will have to consider that a "uniquely colored" buff. [​IMG] At least they will only be for pets, not looking for show quality.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Ugh! I hope not. I ordered 3 female and one male, and the male is supposed to be a partridge! You can't really tell in the photo, but the buff one is one of the smallest out of the group. I thought that would mean is was a girl?

Way, way, way, way, way too soon to tell sex of a Silkie by just looking at them, so don't worry, yet! If you bought them vent-sexed, hatcheries typically guarantee 90% accuracy. It usually takes between 4-6 months before you can tell the gender of a Silkie by looking at their pysical characteristics.

I agree with Sonoran - you have 2 Buff, 2 Partridge. I bought Buff Silkies from Privitt hatchery and they grew up to be almost red with some black feathers in the tails, not what a "Buff" is supposed to look like, but I loved them anyway! Even top breeders of show-quality Silkies often have some black show up in their buffs.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT

No, I meant the top partridge...

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I've never had a buff hatch with eye stripes, so I would say 3 partridge and 1 buff too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by