Need help figuring out which Roos to Cull :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jay13, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    So I have some chickens that I got as 16-18 week olds. If their development of comb and wattles combined with coloring (these are barred birds the suspect males are lighter) and behavior. I assume this is standard teenage Roo behavior?
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, what kinds of characteristics should I look for in a Roo? They aren't mating yet, trying to thin them down before it comes to that due to the increased aggressiveness ect. I plan on letting my chickens free range a lot so do I need an aggressive roo? A big one? I have no way of knowing who is going to be gentlemanly to my ladies.... I already have seen one I think picking on the other chickens more often than the others, need to identify them better then spend time with a notebook to get a feel for their personalities but I definitely am culling the picker. I don't need any more of that action going on!

Suggestions? Oh, and here they are enjoying their digs. I think I have all the males suspects in the pic...

[​IMG]

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If you just have two roosters for those hens, I would keep them both. Just in case something happens.

But always look for the strongest, most dominant (but docile), biggest, well built rooster.

If he is bigger than the rest and thriving, he will produce great offspring. If they are the same size, than go for type, personality, ect.

It really depends on if you want a good healthy laying/pet stock or a show breed?

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Both looks equal to me, I would cull any one of them it really will not make much diffrent.
    Omran

4. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    Those are just the two that "get into it" all the time. There are a suspected 6 in my flock of 20, waaaay too many roos.

5. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Also, once you reduce the number of roos, some of the aggression will go down.

I ordered 50 straight run RIR and had about 20 or so roos in the mix. I noticed a huge reduction in aggression as the numbers of boys came down.

There was still lots of sparring and such going on when I still had about 10 boys mixed with the girls. However, once they left (I kept two boys) things calmed WAY down.

I have now culled down to 11 girls and one roo. I had kept a second roo just in case but he didn't grow out like I wanted so down the road he went. I do have plans on raising a second roo from this last batch I just hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by