1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help finding a recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redsoxs, Jul 20, 2011.

1. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hey...I'm kinda new to BYC and not too adept at searching the archives, but I wonder if any of you have a recipe that I remember from my youth. An old neighbor lady who raised chickens made something that I loved. She passed away and I think her recipe went with her. It was some kind of a chicken spread...not like potted meat...more like chicken headcheese but not as nasty (in my opinion). Also it wasn't as solid (set up) as headcheese and was made to be spread, not sliced. Bits of chicken meat (with no rubbery mystery morsels) were suspended in this beautiful gelled chicken broth. I don't know if she canned it or made it fresh and just put it in the fridge but I know it was always in wide-mouth pint Mason jars. You simply spread it on a piece of homemade bread! Dang, it was good! Anyone hear of anything like that, and if so, send me a link! Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My mom and grandma both made something like that. My grandma is long gone and my mom just passed away on July 1st, but I'll look thru her recipes next time I go to my dad's and see if it was written down anywhere.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Thank you, Katy! P.S. Sorry to hear about your mom.

Quote:

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:
    It's actually one of the recipes I'd been wanting to ask her for and just never thought of it when I was at their house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by