Need help finding DE for fly control

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bassfishrman, May 29, 2007.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    After reading the posts for fly control, it's evident that I must get DE to control my fly problem.

It's readily available on the web, but I just can't see paying $24 fir 50# of DE and $35 for shipping.

Are there any national chain stores that carry it? I have tried my local feed stores and they don't carry it.

Thanks!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    So far I haven't found a local store that carries it. I have had to buy it mail order. No one in Ocala has even heard of it! Even the health stores don't carry it.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I'm in Northern Florida and no one here has heard of it either. I ordered it through the mail and am still waiting for it to arrive. I found two places to order it one in Virginia and the other in Arkansas thats the closest to me. Where are you located Micki

4. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    I am having the same problem. I have been looking for it local also. I thought I read somewhere on here that at Lowe's in the organic section they may have some. But it will be called something else. It needs to say chemical codex food grade on the package. If you find it there, let me know. I hope to make it there tonight or tomorrow. Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  5. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I'm located in SouthWest Alabama just outside of Mobile.

I've called every feed store within 50 miles and no one has even heard of it.

6. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I wondering if lowes carries it. It might not be the food grade one?

7. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    The best way to find it local or to buy in bulk is to ask a local organic farmer. Organic farmers rely heavily on DE. I know Murray McMurray sells it (In duster containers not bulk.)also. Good Luck! I will ask a farmer here in SW Indiana were he gets his (he gets it in mass bulk) and let you know what he says also.
    Amy J.

8. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I called lowes in Ocala he said its not the food grade one. It's for the yard & to kill insects. The one that's only for the yard is not safe for the animals right??

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  9. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    I had called McMurray to inquire about it today earlier. She said they stopped carrying it. She didn't seem to confident of what I was talking about though. Someone else on this board mentioned about getting a product from McMurrays with DE in it. Hopefully they will see this.

10. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine from www.hoeggergoatsupply.com. I ordered 10 pounds and it seems to go far. In 2 months with 24 chickens and 2 goats, I've only used maybe a pound of it.

Maybe you don't need 50 pounds? Since it is consistancy of powder or flour, the 5 pound bag was as big as a 10 pound sack of potatoes.

I thought the price and shipping was reasonable, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by