Need help finding organic feed source.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JB8907, Jan 4, 2019.

1. JB8907

JB8907 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    i get this from tractor supply and is fine for my month old chicks but my 8 week old pullets have stopped growing. I wouldn't have noticed had I not gone to friends house that had the pullets siblings and they are noticably larger than mine. I asked what their feeding and his are on a grower mine are still on the chick starter/grower. Went to tractor supply where I got it and they only have 10lb bags. And don't have a 40lb bag. Ang suggestions for a larger organic grower would be great.

Attached Files:

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there.. :frow

Starter, grower, flock raiser, layer... all confusing terms... the real basic difference in ANY of them is going to be protein and calcium levels... organic or not is a personal choice that has zero baring on growth rate.

Some differences are simply genetic even with the same parents.

They may be using a different lighting system... some people keep lights on all night... I use natural cycles with true darkness. Ultimately, regardless of when different birds have their growth spurts or how fast they are growing they will still reach their maximum genetic potential once all is said and done. The only time extreme growth is is a plus is if you are processing for the table at a young age.

I personally NEVER go below 20% protein at any stage.

Some feeds will be medicated or not... if your birds experienced any bout with coccidiosis this could stunt their growth... if your birds are less confined they may be more active and SEEM more gangly than theirs...

Providing grit... has been proven to help the gizzard develop better which would maybe give better digestive uptake. :confused:

If organic is important to you then go for it.

One final word... It stinks that there is no industry standard for protein percentages in lets say starter... some starters are 22% while others like what the mana pro is only 18%... I would NOT feed my hatchlings 18%... While calories can only come from protein, fat, and carbs including fiber... and protein and carbs have the same amount of calories... Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids... and it takes protein to build muscle... I choose higher protein feed... and that is my suggestion for you... choose something with more protein..

That one says 19.5% protein...
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/natures-best-organic-chick-starter-grower?cm_vc=-10005

How much has yours been?

Hope this helps. :)

3. EggSighted4Life

Take that back... after looking at the picture of the bag instead of TSC site info... it says that one is only 18% protein...

ETA... reading again... I see this is what you are feeding... I would buy a higher protein feed... Sometimes I even feed my chicks 30% protein turkey starter... and mix it down to 22-24% protein for my breeding and molting birds... oyster shell on the side for active layers.

4. JB8907

JB8907 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Southeast Texas
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Are you raising meat chickens or layers?

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
  7. EggSighted4Life

It may be helpful for other to see. :)

Give more protein... or preferably a higher protein feed to ALL your birds from day one... it makes a difference... to me regardless of breed.

This link has one typo in the layer strain table that says 5-17% and should say 15-17%...
    https://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

After raising a couple hundred birds... many I breed and hatch.. lots of nutritional research... protein makes the difference... ask any show breeder, see what they say...

Of course too much of a good thing is bad... I never go beyond 30% and feel comfortable at 20-25% protein.

8. JB8907

JB8907 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Their dual purpose. It's really a 50/50 split right now.

These will breed and make more and I'll cull out the slow layers and growers then start breeding for meat.

9. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    The nutritional needs to quickly put weight on a meat bird are going to be different than say a heritage breed or layer.

10. JB8907

JB8907 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    My pullets are EE RIR & Leghorn. I also have some black and lavender Maran chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: