need help finding out the breed and gender of all my chicks thanks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tolbunt, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Tolbunt

Tolbunt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    I am trying to get a chicken business afloat. My dad just spent about 2000$ on a GBQ incubator and brooder. I need to raise chicks to pay back my dad. But I cant because I don't know which breed they are. I raise tolbunt polish, candy corn polish, cream leg bars, porcelain Duccles, Millie flour Duccles, bantam cochins, copper marans, olive eggers, americanas, auricanas, golden comets, bared rock, black sex link, etc. I can tell with the polish but not with bantam cochins and the Duccles. I also have a chick magnet that can supposedly sex chicks for us but I'm not sure. I've heard that there are some tricks but haven't figured them out. Please help thank you

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Welcome to BYC.

You can dispense with the magnet. That does absolutely nothing in sexing chicks but is a folklore myth. The only reliable way to sex chicks is vent sexing at day of age (90% accurate with proper training), but most of us do not care to go through the training to do that...please don't attempt it without training as you can hurt the chick.

Most people sell very young chicks as straight run...the buyer takes their chances as to whether you've got male or female as chicks are hard to sex unless they are an auto-sexing breed or sex-link hybrid. So simply don't guarantee sex until it becomes very obvious, often not until 8 weeks or more. Be prepared to take back a mis-marked rooster if you sell a bird as a female but it turns out male.

Hopefully you have learned to mark your eggs and how to do some separation in the incubator to help organize the hatches.

I highly recommend you get in the habit of hatching your chicks in batches with breeds that produce different down colors as it will then be easy to tell the breeds of chicks apart and allow the auto sexing and sex link chick down colors to be useful. For example, don't mix a hatch of Black Sex Link with Barred Rocks as the Black Sex Links produce black girls and boys with boys having a white head dot. Barred Rocks produce black chicks with both sexes having white head dots...and there you will not be able to tell a BR girl from a BSL boy at hatch defeating the purpose of the sex link coloring.

If you have mixed batches, which is what I am reading you've done, the best thing to do is go to websites that show good photos of the breeds as chicks, and as juveniles, and develop your eye. I can recommend these:

The Feathersite gives great photos of adults and chicks
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Cackle Hatchery has really nice photos and videos of the chicks in action
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/bantam.html

Estes hatchery has a nice collage of different chicks
    http://www.esteshatchery.com/gallery.html

Also go to the hatchery's website where you purchased the hatching eggs from and see what chick identifying tools they have on their website. Your breeders can be a good resource too, and often have photos of their breeds as chicks.

A lot of your chicks will be identifiable by the beginning of crests and leg feathers.

The polish with have a bit of extra fluff on the top of their head, which you have figured out.

Cream Crested Legbar will have a bit of tuft as well, especially as they age, but not as much as the Polish. They are auto-sexing, but only if you don't mix hatch them with chicks who have similar colors that aren't auto-sexing. Females are chipmunks and the males are brownish with a white head dot.

Marans, if traditional, will have leg feathers on the outside of the leg, going down to the outside toe. The boys telecast pretty early. Often by 3 to 4 weeks of age with significantly more comb growth than the girls.

Bantam Cochins will have full leg feathers. Roo's telecast by 3 months of age with large red combs.

D'uccles will have full booted or very heavy leg feathering. They are a bantam, so I suspicion roo's will telecast early with large red combs, but I've not owned a D-Uccle so can't say for certain.

True Ameraucanas will have a beard and muff, looking extra fluffy at the cheeks and slate grey legs. Araucanas, if true, will most likely have ear tufts and be tail-less...but not all Araucana chicks will exhibit the ear tufts as that is a lethal gene so half the chicks will not have any tufts. Most are tail-less but not all.

Easter Eggers, a mix of Ameraucana or Araucana over any other breed, is what most hatcheries sell...no hatchery sells true Araucanas, you have to go to a breeder to get those. EE's most often have green legs and beard/muffs but there is a lot of variation in them as they are mixed breed.

Your Barred Rocks and Black Sex Links will be hard to tell apart as to girl BR and boy BSL, but the all black chicks will be girl BSL.

All yellow chicks with no leg feathers or tufts will likely be your boy Gold Comet, and yellow chick with red gold head and back with no leg feathering or tuft will likely be your GC females.

Size will help as well...bantams will be much smaller than the large fowl.

The pointers I can think of for right now. Good luck in your endeavors.

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Lady of McCamley has given you some excellent advice. You are going to have to organize your hatches in a way so you can tell the different breeds apart, and separate your brooder so you continue to know which is which. There is no easy way for you to sex chicks (except the Legbars) so selling them straight run would be the way to go.

Now on the comets and black sex links, the sex linked trait only works for one generation. So breeding hatchery sex links together will not give you more sex links.

4. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes...x2 on this...you cannot breed GSL to GSL and get anything other than a mixed breed chicken that no longer is sex linked at hatch. Same with BSL or any other sex linked chicken...that is done with first generation genetics of red based roo over silver based hen (GSL) or red based roo over barred hen (BSL). The chick down follows the genetics of the mother for sexing for only that first generation. Thereafter, sexlinks just breed barnyard mixes as the genetics no longer work crisply in your favor. Look up Punnett Squares when you are ready to start breeding, and there are some excellent articles of information on BYC for that.

Your CCL will continue to autosex as it is an actual autosexing breed, so you can breed CCL to CCL and get autosexed CCL. As genetics do vary over generations, you will want to remove from the breeding program any chick that was not clearly autosexed at hatch (ie the down color was not clear for its sex... as in the head dot on the boy was very faint and hard to see, or the girl's chipmunk colors did not provide nice crisp bars).

Again, good luck on your new program.

LofMc

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2 on Lady of Mcamley's excellent advice!

6. Tolbunt

Mar 18, 2015
    Thank you all. I keep most of the hens together with a lavender Americana rooster. I produce the eggs that I hatch and have labeled the eggs too. I cant watch every chicks hatch so I a small problem there. If you mix the sex link with an Americana will you still be able to sex it? Cause I have an egg layer coop and I section off different breeds like polish, bantam cochins, D'Uccles, seramas, and most of my valuable breeds. Thank you

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The other posters have given you some excellent advice already.

In answer to your question, breeding a sex-link to an Ameraucana (or any other breed, for that matter) will not give you more sex-links. The only ways to sex non-sex-linked birds are to wait until the bird crows or develops pointed sex feathers, vent sex, watch for certain color patterns (for example, with Black Breasted Red color patterns, only the males develop black breasts), and look at comb development (large + red = rooster).

8. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    No, an Ameraucana rooster over any hen will produce an Easter Egger...which may or may not produce green egg layers, depending whether your Ameraucana is true blood with 2 blue genes. No sex linking will occur, especially not over BSL's or GSL/RSL.

FYI, there is no such breed as Americana. If you purchased the bird as such, it is an Easter Egger. Lavendar is not recognized by the SOP of the Ameraucana Breed Society, so it too technically is an Easter Egger, or a project bird (as many are working on an Ameraucana Lavendar), but any chicks should be labeled as Easter Eggers or mixed breeds from that pairing....but they can be labeled as great layers for those looking for utility layers with a high likelihood of green eggs. But only if your rooster is full Ameraucana, Lavendar project, will you get green egg layers from the pairing of brown layers/ Lavender roo; you will get lighter blue layers over hens that lay white eggs...but all should be good layers if paired with a commercial type layer with that roo.

If your boy is actually and EE, he may have only 1 blue gene which means your offspring will break down roughly to 50/50 of brown egg layer vs. green or 50/50 white egg layer vs. blue, and should be noted for any future buyers.

LofMc

9. Tolbunt

Mar 18, 2015
    Okay thanks

10. seolari

seolari Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    I'm new to this site and need to know what type of chick this is. I intended it to be a bard rock but I'm skeptical do to the lack of white bars on the chest. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by