Need help finding the right bedding.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've always used Shavings, but I currently have my Pet button pair ( Buddy and Bella ) in my room ontop of my dresser and they kick shavings all over my room and I personaly don't care but my mom is getting really annoyed with it and wants to find a different bedding. She thinks I should try sand...I said "No, if I use sand then SAND will be all over my floor!" Plus when ever they spill water I will have Mud....[​IMG]
    I've seen alot of people using some sort of Pellet bedding..does that work for buttons? Any other suggestions? Thanks much. [​IMG]

~God Bless~

ETA: It's late and past my bed time and I'm having lots of typo's!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    If they can kick the shavings out, they will kick out pellets or sand, too. I vacuum up pellets once or twice every day in my basement.

Another option is for you to try to enclose your cage differently. Can you use some window screen to enclose the lower portions of your screen to keep them from kicking out the chips? Sort of like you did with the dog & rabbit cages? If you can figure a way out to contain the bedding, it will be better.

Edited to change a word ...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

When I hatch chicks I keep them in a brooder cage in my computer room for the 1st week. I find a box the cage will fit in & cut the sides down to about 4". That keeps the shavings off of the floor. Try this with your little Buttons. [​IMG]

4. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Good idea. Perhaps one of those clear plastic under bed boxes would work, depending on the size of the button cage. Or, even two of them, with one side cut off each & duck taped together.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have them in an old Parakeet cage, it has glass sliding things on one side. I have card board on the other side ... but it has "slots" on the front and back for glass. So I think I can enclose them with glass so they can't kick bedding out anymore. I wanted to use glass so they could see out..other wise they'd get pretty board looking at nothing all day. [​IMG] Do pellets work, or are they different and hard on their little feet?

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm pretty sure alot of Button people use the pellets for their birds

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a long strip of clear plastic left over from weatherstripping my windows. It has worked perfectly to wrap around the bottom part of my cage. I just used tape to fasten it around the bars. I use corncob bedding and it really is keeping the mess contained! Terri O

8. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    I think they prefer the wood chips. However, the pellets do a better job of odor control and last much longer. Plus, when the buttons are done with the pellets, I can give them to the coturnix for a while to REALLY mess them up before they go to the garden. (I do top them with a bit of fresh pellets.)

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I may try some different bedding after I use up my bag of shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by