1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help - First time chicken owner -- Girl or Boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by taxgirl02, May 28, 2016.

1. taxgirl02

taxgirl02 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

I appreciate any help/input you may have about the potential sex of our chickens. My son and daughter, five and seven, adopted three chickens from friends. I'm worried that two of them might be boys. Where we live we cannot have boys due to the local ordinances. The kids have done an amazing job socializing them and really have grown to love them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've attached face and feather photos for each. They are five weeks old. They are suppose to be specked Sussex and Easter Egg mix?

2. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    To me they all look like pullets for now. However, I'm not very experienced and am just basing it off of my own who are about the same age.
    This is my EE , comb looks about the same as yours.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. taxgirl02

taxgirl02 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Updated pictures. Here is Jr (black hen (hopefully) now at 12 weeks.

As for the other girl she was killed by our dog. Kiddos left the coop open and Jr. Was the only one to survive. Many lessons learned that day. We just got 3 new chickens that were hatched as part of my daughter's first grade science project. They are 5 weeks old and I'm waiting until they get a little bigger to introduce to Jr. They are side by side so they can all see each other. Thoughts on their gender?[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. taxgirl02

taxgirl02 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. taxgirl02

taxgirl02 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

The white bird is a cockerel, the others are pullets.

Where did those birds come from? The one pullet looks like a crested cream Legbar, not a very usual breed found in classroom hatches.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

8. taxgirl02

taxgirl02 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Eggs were donated to the classroom not sure as to what breed the parents were. Thanks for the heads up about the cockerel. Will start looking for a new home for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by