Need help first time incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ajablu, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Hi, I am incubating for the first time and need some help. I have an LG still air and can not get the temp up past 95/96 degrees. I have it in a spare bedroom since no one will bother it there and no drafts from opening doors. The room temp is right around 68 to 70. Is that too cold for the still air? It said 65 to 72, but I wondered if that was always true. I am getting a hovabator next month but need to ge these eggs in now. The wafer thermometer that came with it says 98 but the digital temp/humidity one says 95/96. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Michele

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    need to replace the wafer, i would think

3. ajablu

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Any idea how I can get the temp to 100 degrees? It seems stuck at 96. Warmer room temp? I have read that still air LGs need 100 degrees so that is what I am trying to get it to.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Trying a new wafer as suggested will be your easiest and cheapest place to start. They are like $3 at the feed store. And it could be the thermometers. I always have at least 3 different brand thermometers in each incubator and hatcher. Slso, how long have you had it running? It takes a little bit to stabilize, especially if you just added the water and all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  5. ajablu

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Thanks, I will get some new ones tomorow.
    It has been running 24 hours now.
    I have done alot of reading, but this is the first time trying and I am nervous. We are really excited to learn to hatch eggs so we can add some beautiful babies to our flock.

6. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought one of those too, and I tried 3 different thermometers, a digital one with a probe wire (like a weather thermometer that measures outside temp and inside temp) and the ones that came with the still air little giant and egg turner. They were within 3 degrees of each other, but placed in different locations. I had a heck of a time with the weather thermometer humidity reading. It reads much too low. So I went to petco and bought a battery free humidity gauge from the reptile section, and it reads 55% humidity where the digital one only reads 30%.
    What a difference!
    Wish me luck on my first hatch too! I figured out that the egg turner motor had come apart from the tray, thankfully before I put eggs in. I'm putting (what I hope are fertilized) eggs in tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers.

[​IMG]

7. ajablu

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to try some new ones and also the humidity gage you suggested.
    Good Luck on your first hatch [​IMG] I hope we both get some new chicks. I have three of my favorite breeds in this group and hope they survived the shipping . If not, hopefully the seller will have more available so I can try again with the hovabator my husband is getting me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by