Need help for a lonley girl

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gostivarcb, May 19, 2019.

1. Gostivarcb

Gostivarcb In the Brooder

May 19, 2019
    Until last week I had 2 roosters and 7 hens. The problem is one of my hens started being bullied by the rest of the hens because of her preference for my second rooster. Adding to that while I was away on a business trip Minos, 2nd rooster, got stuck between our fence and the neighbor’s and spent the night outside. When I got home the next morning, he was bloody and near death, unfortunately he did not survive. Now Jade, my australorp, is being shunned and even more bullied. She is missing back and head feathers and runs to be near me if the rest of the flock is not around. Any thoughts. I don’t want her to live in isolation and fear.

Shadrach likes this.
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello Gostivarcb.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Your hen has to sort this out herself. If you remove her from the flock the probability is the problem will be even worse on her return.
    If any blood is being drawn apply a bit of Betadine to the area.
    What does she do if the rest of the flock is around?

3. Gostivarcb

May 19, 2019
    She runs away and hides in another part of the yard. If they get to her it is brutal. she will go into the coop at night but after all but one of the hens is in. Interestingly there are a few perches around the coop but she will get right on the top perch with the others

4. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    Is it just some hens that are bullying her, or all of them?

5. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    we have a bantam that found her way out of a sticky situation like this. She worked through it and is now well respected and a rooster favorite.

6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    That is actually a good sign, in a way. Treat her comb with betadine and some Blukote to deter further pecking and try offering some oats to the group, have a squirt bottle ready and spray offenders as they attack but praise them when they forage/eat together.

Aside from occasional corrections when you're available to dole them out all you can do is give it time. My Buff Orp was badly bullied a few months back but you'd never know it now. Those girls are thick as thieves!

Just keep an eye on her, praise the bullies when they behave together and hang in there!!!:hugs

7. Gostivarcb

May 19, 2019
    4 are involved a white leghorn 2 Black jersey giants, and 1 Easter egger
    My 2 buff orpingtons do not get involved

8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Yeah, my Buff is almost TOO nice, won't fight back at all.

Will she forage/peck with the two friendly chickens? Maybe separate the bullies for a bit if it gets her a break. Might help her confidence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: