Need help for a possibly sick duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rocky41102, Oct 25, 2010.

1. rocky41102

rocky41102 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Tennessee
    We have 3 muscovy ducks and 1 pekin. I believe the pekin is a boy (but I could be wrong) and 1 muscovy is a boy. The Pekin is actually the oldest and is about 7 or 8 months old. He is the remaining duck from a previous set of Pekins we lost. The Pekin started taking care of the muscovies when we brought them home and acted just like a "mother hen". Anyway, everything has been fine until the last few days. The Pekin has started floating around by himself and is not eating at least that I can tell. He doesn't come over when it's feeding time. I can't get to him to check him out but as far as I know and can see, nothing has attacked him-feathers look good. He just seems tired, wants to be alone, closes his eyes while he's floating...Any ideas as to what's wrong or what I can do? Could the muscovy have taken over and banished him from the group? Is he really a girl and that has something to do with it? *I should add the 3 muscovy are fine so far. All of them have been eating Flock Raiser food, crumbles. They have their own pond, but it is muddy because of a drought-the water level has been dropping (there's still at least a foot or more in depth available to them and the pond is pretty good sized).

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Do they have access to clean fresh drinking water as well as what is in the pond??

3. rocky41102

rocky41102 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Tennessee
    Not until recently. I just started giving them a separate water source when the pond starting dropping more. If he's gotten something from the water, can that be treated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by