1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help for an injured Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tatt2dchk1, Mar 23, 2015.

1. tatt2dchk1

tatt2dchk1 New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Alabama
    I came home today to find one of my rooster had his comb almost completely torn off I called the vet who said to go ahead and cut it off I did that and gave him a bath put him back in the yard he started eating and seemed fine but as soon as the rest of the flock came near him he turned and attacked my other rooster they have been raised together and are usually inseparable they have never felt before I broke up the fight fortunately they don't have Spurs yet but he just wouldn't quit attacking the other bird so I tried to separate him and his own coop but he kept rubbing his head against the wire reinjuring himself so finally after all of the birds had gone to roost I put him back in the big coop I'm just wondering if I need to get him out of there before morning and if the fighting will stop now I would appreciate any help or info on this

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If they sre fighting badly enough to tear off a comb, they next step will be one will be killed. Separation is the only answer. Put some type of barrier up on the side of the pen so tbey can't fence fight. Cardboard, a tarp, an old sheet or cover, something so they can't see each other.

3. tatt2dchk1

tatt2dchk1 New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Alabama
    oh sorry I should have been more clear about how the injury occurred it wasn't from them fighting it was from a fence wire.... they have never fault until after the comb was off today and he was all bloody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by