need help for little duck!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sugar101, Feb 28, 2017.

1. sugar101

sugar101 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Hi,

m not sure if i'm in the right place or if i can even get back to this post as i'm a very new user. I've been reading the wonderful advise on hatching duck eggs for about a year. we have just had 4 ducks hatch but one was about 4 days behind and facing the wrong way in the egg. I was able to help him but its now a few days later and he seems very week and uninterested in moving much. he may have minor splayed leg but if i splint him he just falls sideways and stays there?? he also smells bad?? looking for ways to help the poor little guy to thrive? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    :welcome!! I am sorry your baby duck is not doing well. :( I do not have much experience with ducks, but I think it would be a good idea to give it some electrolytes in its water or make one- if you need a recipe I am happy to find one for you. Make sure the temperature is right in the brooder. If the other ducks are picking on him, you might want to separate him with his own food and water and heat lamp to keep him from getting hurt. I don't know why he would smell bad. Is it just his breath or his body? If it is just his breath it could be sour or slow crop, but I am unsure if they can get that so early in life. Have you checked for pasty butt? Do ducks get pasty butt? Sorry I don't have much advise! I hope you baby gets well soon!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. sugar101

sugar101 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you for the reply :)

I saw some advise on the electrolytes but I don't currently have apple cider v. so i just used the sugar and salt. I don't even really know how much is enough for him to drink?? The other duckling eat and drink like crazy! It took me two days to get the other ducklings to accept him and then they were all snuggling together and all was well. now they just sort of step on him and knock him over so i've taken him out. he"s in a separate homemade incubator to stay warm by himself with food and water. he doesn't seem to mind being on his own in there...he just mostly sleeps.
    I think the smell is his body? maybe from sitting half out of the shell for 4 days? not sure about that one either :)
    I think they can? but he seems ok in that department.

4. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Your welcome! :) wow! Poor baby! I am at loss with this little one. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this department can help?

5. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    What does his poop look like?
    And also are there any other symptoms besides the ones listed? Like paralysis or constant eyes closed? Does he drink enough fluids? Does he constantly chirp? Does he have any discharge on his nose?

6. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    @chickens really @casportpony
    Maybe you can try to help? I saw you were helping on the emergency thread and I was hoping you could help this baby duck?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello.....How is the Baby doing right now?......when was it hatched and how did the hatch go for him?.... Its possible he is failing but I will try to help if I can?.....

cheers!

8. sugar101

sugar101 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you for your replies. Sadly when I got up to check on him at 5am he was dead :(.
    No paralysis, no discharge from anywhere. He didn't walk much but was going for water and tiny bit of food. He was just getting weaker and less interested. Last night I gave him the electrolyte drink with a syringe he drank? He did want to sleep a lot!
    As far as the hatch ..He was backwards in his shell and I assisted. But read every single thread on here about that in the last hatch I did. Poor thing. Do you think it was bacteria or something? Or just the week link? He was very small.

9. sugar101

sugar101 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Oh..and did seem to want to have his eyes closed?

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I think possibly his little heart wasn't developed enough?......Sad he passed....Poor little Ducky...

I love Ducks....I have 10, 1week old Ducklings right now.......And my Big Duckling Bouncer....I hatched them all in my incubator......

Best wishes.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by