Need help for my RR

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    For several days now I have seen my RR, Big Red, with poop running down her backside. I know chickens can have runny looking poop at times, but it never clumped down their feathers before. Big Red seems to spend the majority of her time away from the other girls. She used to be the Queen of the pen but since she has had this runny poop issue going on, one of my other girls has taken over. Big Red still eats and drinks and produces eggs. But today Big Red seemed like she was down and a bit blah. I fed her some grapes, which she enjoyed. I also tried to wipe off the excess dried poop at her backside. I did check for mites or other pests and didn't see any.

Anyone have and ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Colette

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might want to give her a good soak to get all the poo off then trim her feathers some back there to keep it from building up. That has to be uncomfortable. if you do soak her make sure she's good and dry before putting her back outside if it's cold. Do you know when was the last time she laid an egg? What is her age and are there any other symptoms? plain yogurt is helpful with gastric trouble also butter milk and kifer.

3. avalon23

avalon23 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Midwest
    Does it look like she is straining at all? She could be egg bound. I've had a few hens who have suffered from this. A warm bath will help the egg pass (& for the poopy butt), but if the egg broke inside of her you will need to get it out (yes, with your finger. Unfortunately it's the only way unless you take her to a vet to have them do it).

I just had a hen with a sour crop yesterday. Feel her crop to see if there is a mass, and if she has drainage coming from her beak when you pick her up (looks like she is throwing up), that is also a sign. Olive oil will help with break the mass up. Look up impacted crop to find out more.

goodluck!!

4. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Today Big Red looks terrible! All she wants to do is sleep. I tried to clean her up more and she made a noise like she was trying to say, leave me alone. Now she doesn't want to eat or drink.

I thought maybe worms and read some threads on BYCso I got some Wazine and treated all of them.

I will check for a broken egg and a sour crop. Thanks for the help.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's a good idea to start going do the list of everything that has been suggested to rule things out, does she feel swollen in her belly, don't worry about messing with her, she might protest but your trying to help her, how does her vent look? is it pulsing? red? fell her belly and see if you can feel anything unusual. How old is she? do you have her seperated from the rest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by