1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help for Pansy - What is this? Eye disease? Injury? abscess?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smoothmule, Dec 6, 2010.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    My dear little Pansy is an old hen, I've had her for 8 yrs and she was an adult when I got her. She's developed a lot of swelling to her right eye and there isn't a poultry vet in our area. She doesn't seem to be in pain and she's even started laying again and hasn't laid in a year or so. I figured she wasn't laying because she's getting pretty old.
    Can someone help with identifying what it is, the cause and how to treat her? When it started swelling I put some antibiotic ointment on it a few days but didn't see much improvement.

Thanks in advance

Here is my Pansy's eye
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm afraid that is a sinus infection. Treat with Tylan 50, inject under the skin where back of neck & shoulders meet. 1/2 cc 2x daily for 3 days. Some put down the Throat also. I would use a needle to put a hole in the sinus and flush with Tylan also and also see if it has developed into a hard puss ball. If it's still liquid, get a large needle and suck it out with a syringe. If it's hard, you will need to cut a slit with a scalpel and massage it out. Then put neosporin into it.

3. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thank you! I will pen her up tonight and start the Tylan in her water. I'll have to check with my vet about the injectable and may see about taking her in to have it drained right, then I can help and learn to do it myself next time. My vets are not poultry vets but I think they can handle this. Thank you Thank you! Miss Pansy is such a dear old girl. She's a bantam and such a good little setter and mother. I've had her a long time but you would never think she was as old as she is, she's very healthy other than this infection.
    What are the possible causes?

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Let us know how she's doing.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Often it is brought on by a respiratory illness, then the sinus infection can become secondary, but sometimes it is just a sinus infection.... A vet might be able to help more, but your State vet or having the state do a swab may help as some illnesses can be contagious. Hope they help the old girl get to feeling good again soon....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by