need help for sick goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by treeclimber233, Mar 4, 2009.

1. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I have a goat that has a problem with 1/2 of her udder. 1/2 of her udder is hard and smaller than the other side which is much softer. I have milked a small amout of milk out to see if it is stringy or clotted. It was of normal consistancy. (I have milked a goat before). She kidded last night and today she seems to be depressed and has a fever. Could she have mastitis? (This is her first freshening). Please help if you can.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Could well be mastitis. How many kids did she have? Is only one side getting nursed? Also are you sure she passed the entire placenta?

3. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Take her temperature and tell us about her eating and poo. How are babies? What have you been feeding her? Could she lack Calcium?
    You might try Homesteading Today forum for great goat help.

4. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Thanks for your response. She had two babies. One was already dead when I found them. The other is fine. The does 1/2 udder was already hard before the babies were born. It was also smaller than the other side before there was any nursing going on. She did not eat the food I gave her the night before she kidded and it was still there this morning. I feed dairy goat pellets and hay. She also gets some Hay Stretcher which she loves but mostly dairy goat pellets and hay. She was getting some grass/weeds to eat but with the rain lately she has not gone out of the barn much. I called the lady I got her from because Apple (goats name)seemed depressed so she came over this morning and gave Apple some sugar and molassas and a shot of something (antibiotic ?). Also gave her some pills (something for calcium I think). Before I went to work Apple seemed more alert and was eating and drinking. And talking to her baby (so cute) The lady said she could tell by feeling her muzzle that Apple had a fever. How high it was I don't know. I can't imagine taking her temp. As much trouble as it was to convince Apple to let me touch her udder I can't even think about sticking a thermometer anywhere!!!!! If it is mastitis what can I do for Apple? All the vets around here only do dogs and cats. Except there are a few horse vets. I wonder if they do goats????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by