Need help from a Rhode Island Red expert.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bsee4u, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bsee4u

bsee4u In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    I just completed a hatch of 6 RIR's, very outgoing little peeps compared to my last batch of barnyard mixed. My question is this, I have 2 that have 3 dark brown racing stripes down their backs, the other 4 are lighter and have plain backs. Is this difference in any way related to the sex of the chixk, or is it just having different parents. I got the eggs from some farmers who have about 200 RIR's exclusively, so they are all purebred. Thanks in advance.

2. Want Less

Want Less Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    FWIW, We have some RIRs and Ive never heard of color pattern being related to sex. My guess would be genetics.

3. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chirping

Jan 6, 2011
    I dont know if it has anything to do with the sex but I have 2 RIR the one with a darker brown stripe on her head and back is my hen then the lighter one and he has a red tip on his beak I'm pretty sure is my roo. It could just be genetics but those are what I have. They are 2 weeks old now.

4. bsee4u

bsee4u In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for the responses, I guess I will find out for sure in the next few weeks. I plan to keep one of these hens for my laying hens, I had 2 die last year. I have another batch of Americauna's to hatch for someone in a couple of weeks, I will keep one of those to have 5 brown and 2 colored egg layers.

5. Want Less

Want Less Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Our RIR started getting bigger than the girls in the same batch within a few days of hatching. Within a couple weeks we were suspecting "she" was a "he", and then the red around his face started appearing shortly after, and we were right. But they're all different [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: