Need help from experts in abdominal palpation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, May 16, 2011.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm pretty good at knowing when an abdomen is full of fluid.......but I have a hen now who has an abdomen I've never felt before.
    Its fairly enlarged, but its not full of fluid. It feels like various shapes of firmer objects. They don't give when I press on them. They seem to be different shapes.
    I'm thinking tumors. I suppose tumors can force the intestines outward, and obstruct any pooping....maybe that's what I'm feeling. But I'm thinking tumors.

I don't know if her situation now has been growing for years........but for years now (she's 8), she (a black australorp) has had a smaller comb than the others (even though its a normal color), and she has had an expiratory noise. For about a year, I've been finding her sitting down more than the others. Do you think its possible that these are slow growing tumors I'm feeling........and they are finally affecting her? I've just never felt such a strange abdomen. I've drained several chickens in the past, but with all this firm stuff in there, I'm very hesitant to stick her.
    Thanks for your help. Just trying to learn more.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by