Need help from the experts here--what is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TigerLilly, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    She was kind of an 'extra' (more chicken math) when I went to pick up 3 more buff orpingtons today...I was told she is a "Red Star" and NOT a RIR. Not that I would know the diff at this point. She is about 3 years old & except for the 'rooster marks' on her back, I thought she was pretty. I also didn't want to leave her as the only hen with what seems to be a very active roo!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what she is? I tried looking for the Red Star under breeds & sub breeds & it's not there. Maybe I should google it.

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    A "Red star" is one of the many names for red sex-links. There's a thread around here somewhere on the various sex links and what combination of breeds are commonly used.

3. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

definatly a red star or red sex link a cross of a RIR roo and a delaware hen.....made for a high production of eggs brown ones...here are a couple of pics of mine....I have 4 of them TSC told me they were RIR when i got them as chicks out of the bin....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That was quick--thank you both! Yours are very pretty, newegg!
    So now I know where to start.

5. TigerLilly

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, I was wrong about that...are they called something else besides 'red star' & 'red sex links?' Neither are listed in the breeds/sub breeds sections.
    And I thought the chicken math part of this was hard!

6. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

they will not be in the breeds or sub breeds.....they are not considered a breed....search on here google red star or red sex link.........they are just considered a cross but one that is made to be super egg layers

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sex links can be red, black or gold color, depending on the cross that made them. Red Star is a trade name, like Golden Comet, Black Star, etc. They are all hybrid layers, bred so that males and females hatch a slightly different color and can be ID'd immediately.

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    comets maybe? NH reds?

9. TigerLilly

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thanks to everyone who chimed in & helped me out! I googled it & got some good info. Now, my question is this:
    If she's already about 3 yrs old, will she lay anymore? How long do good production hens lay in the average 'backyard chicken coop?'

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

The sexlinks I've had hit the laying peak around the second year and production drops a bit every year after that. I have had hens MUCH older than three years that still layed enough to keep me happy. Depends on the individual hen though, some stop almost completly by the third or fourth year.
    I've read that production drops I think 20% a year? can't remember.
    I'd give her a chance, see what she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by