Need help from you genetics gurus with breeding crele...thanks!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...so I didn't think I had "room" for another color bantam cochin...BUT...someone on another thread said it was simple. I have a lovely barred roo (photo below..he was molting and not in best feather). What would I need to breed him to to get crele?

[​IMG][/img]

I'd like one that looks somewhat like this:

http://members.aol.com/kbjtc/webp/cochin.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am not 100% sure how to bring in black breasted red into cochins. You could get crele looking males from a barred male onto partridge females. To get 'real' crele cochin bantams you would have to find a bird similar in type to cochins that is black breasted red and get hens from that to cross with him. I cannot think of any right now, the only common BBR bird that comes in bantam that comes to mind is the OEGB. You could use BBR OEGB hens, it would take many generations but it could be done.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their opinion. I know to get crele phoenix we used crele OEGB with light brown hens, then crossed them back to light brown.

3. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Once you have crele, will that crele bird produce crele?

4. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Once you have crele and breed them to other crele they will produce crele.

5. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Also when a crele male is bred to certain colors it will produce crele. Example crele male on light brown/black breasted red or golden hens will produce crele of both sexes. Crele male on barred females will give a sexlink, the males will be barred and the females will be crele.
    If you wanted to make largefowl crele cochins you could use a barred rooster on welsummer hens, the welsummers we had were loosley feathered.

Also I think if you cross your rooster with buff or red hens you might get something that looks crele.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    How about if I bred the barred roo with a red-brown cochin hen?

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Monkey is right about true crele being a BBR with sex linked barring. That term does get tossed around left and right.. like on that page.. those ain't a true crele.

In fact that rooster looks like a barred brown-red. If that's your goal, then breeding to the brown-red hen will get you birds more or less like him. I don't know if you will get any in the first generation, but if you get all barreds in the first generation just choose one of them and breed it to a brown red.

Barring is sex linked. Barred roo will produce barreds in both sexes, barred hens only produce barred sons (if bred to non-barred roo). Consider this when choosing the progeny for breeding.

If Wheaten is an accepted or available color in cochins, they can be used to achieve roosters that look very much like the true creles.. hens however will look very different from crele hens though.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    What about crele is different from a barred brown red?

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    This is a result of partridge silkie and cuckoo marans cross. Is this barred brown red or crele?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by