Need help getting coop floor started

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flyboy718, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    I am making my coop out of pallets. I am using some old bricks to get the level of the floor right before going up with the walls. Do I have to scrape the grass off and get to dirt? I can't seem to get the pallets that will be the floor level. I assume scrape the grass off and then maybe partialy dig some bricks into the ground to adjust downward if I need to go down less than a brick width? What if I need to go up less than a brick width...what to use for shims?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    To raise the brick less than its thickness, go down partway with one and add one on top.

The chickens will remove anything that you leave in the run: grass, weeds, and such.

Chris

3. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Do I have to scrape the grass off and get to dirt? I can't seem to get the pallets that will be the floor level.

If you don't start with a level surface, you won't end up with one.

Pallets sitting on grass will settle when the grass dies, and they won't last very long sitting on the ground anyway.

I'd rethink the whole "pallets as a floor" idea if you plan to attach the walls to them​

5. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    the pallet runners are 2x4 sized material.

i would run full lenght 2x4 along side the pallet runners and screw the 2 together. thus makeing a solid single piece floor.

use cinder blocks or landscapeing blocks barried half in the ground for better stablity for a longer term level footprint.

6. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:Sounds like a plan. That would deffinately take care of trying to get all three pallets level with one another.

7. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Alright! Got the sod removed down to dirt...leveled up the dirt and then placed two bricks on top of one another at each corner and then two rows in the middle. Made sure all bricks were level and then used 2 pieces of a recycled 2X4 and screwed all three pallets together on each side and they are end to end. I have pics but I am so tired right now. Time for the walls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by