Need help getting my ducklings to trust me!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jdc361, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    A few days ago my three baby ducklings came! (2 pekins, 1 welsh) they're 3 days old today. The first day they were super friendly but yesterday and today they have been really scared of me!! :( I have been offering them treats(romaine lettuce and banana) whenever I go out to see them and try and play with them and they still won't get anywhere near me and run to the other side of the brooder! But once I pick them up they calm down a little :/ can someone please help me i don't know how to build a bond with them!

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    It takes time. Spend time just sitting with them every day. Put your hand in the brooder so they get used to it. Talk to them.
    Feed them treats from your hand. Mine were scared the day i got them too. This is them now...
    [​IMG]

3. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Also for treats every duckling i have ever had is obsessed with dried mealworms... and peas
    I usually smash the worms when the ducklings are tiny, and put them in the water for them to eat. Once they realize how much they like them i start offering them in my hand next to the water... it doesnt take much persuading because they love them so much they will pretty much do anything to get them lol :)
    And after about a week old i start giving peas as treats. This is also a favorite!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    @Ducks4us pretty much summed it up [​IMG]
    Talk in a quiet voice, make calm movements, and continue to give lots of treats. Instead of picking them up right away, maybe try speaking to them and letting them see that your hands aren't a threat.
    Again, basically restating what Ducks4us said, lol! In any case, the advice is good [​IMG] Hope I helped

5. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    Also: Ducks4us, how old are your ducklings? They sure are cute!

1 person likes this.
  6. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    thank you!!
    The one in the picture is a 3 1/2 week old khaki campbell
    And then this one is 2 1/2 week old runner duck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  7. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I have 10 runner ducklings all the same age. And then 3 khaki campbells [​IMG]
    They all try to sleep on my lap when i sit with them .but they are getting too big and cant all fit anymore! Lol
    [​IMG]

8. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    @Ducks4us, so cute!! The way they're all smushed on top of you is adorable! Makin me jealous lol!

9. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Lol they are pretty great! Im happy they have become so tame!! I love that i can hold and pet them[​IMG]

10. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    If the ducklings are in a box type thing and when you go to them you are above them, then that is the problem. Ducks are prey animals. When you are above them they fear for their lives, as they would if they were in the wild. The lower you can get yourself, the less they will see you as a predator. If you can, get them in a box that opens on the side. Raised would probably be a good idea too. That way when you open the side your face will be even with them. You won't be above them.

I have a pen that my new chicks will be in when they arrive. It opens on the side. Am hoping they will be friendly and not scared. Figure it's worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by