need help getting this right

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Armymomx3, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Armymomx3

Armymomx3 Just Hatched

Oct 22, 2016
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Good morning. I just adopted 3 mature chickens, a chain linked dog run and coop. I have read the MANY threads here and have learned so much. Thank you. The ladies have settled in very well. They came from a home maybe wasn't the healthiest, so they are now happy in their 4 star hotel. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as I'm trying to figure out the best place to put their run in the yard. I don't like the look of the chain link run and I want to put a metal red roof on it as well as old barn wood around at least half of it. I have it critter proofed temporarily... but hope to move it this weekend. I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains (ca) and we can get large amounts of rain (last weekend we got 10 inches). I am struggling with if their run needs to be water proof. After do much reading I'm thinking as long as they have a dry coop and some area to get out of the rain they will be ok ??? I'm just needed some reassurance. Also, if the dirt becomes muddy, do I just keep putting the pine shavings down? How about wood chips that just got ground up from a oaks and redwood tree. Any advise for this anxious new owner would be appreciated. Thank you I'm advanced

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Congrats on taking on your new flock and giving them a better life. Maybe your best place to post would the be the "coops and runs" forum - use the pull down menu to the right of "Forum Nav" to get there. Other greeters may be along soon and help you out on the subject.

Best wishes
    CT

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas Armymomx3, and :welcome! Happy you joined our flock. I agree with CTKen about posting in the coops and runs section. One alternative to pine shavings, which can be costly, is sand...cheap and drains and dries well. I think they will eventually need a run of some sort to get out for sun and fresh air. Best wishes!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would think a raised coop to keep water from rushing inside, and maybe a pea gravel run base with sand over it so it would be fast draining. I've heard in wet areas some people put in French drains but, I don't know what that is. A fiberglass paneled roof(run) would allow some light in and also some protection from rain and other elements as well as predator protection. If you cover up sides too much they won't get much fresh air and wind that would help dry out.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chain link fencing has wide enough opening for small predators to get inside. Raccoons also love to reach through openings and bite off any chicken parts they can reach. They are horrible predators. I would be good to back the chain link with 1/2" hardware cloth -.

8. Armymomx3

Armymomx3 Just Hatched

Oct 22, 2016
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Thank you for the welcome. for the feedback and sorry if I posted in the wrong area. I'll get the hang of this soon :) I spent the day working on building coop 3. lol I am gonna have this carpentry thing down and ready to build a house. I have plans to attach the now larger coop to the chain link dog run so they have some extra room. We are heading to Home Depot for addional piping and wire and will be putting on a red tin pitched roof for run off. It will be as secure as Fort Knox :) and hopefull somewhat dry. I'll keep you posted

1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    :welcome

1 person likes this.
  10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by