Need help guessing - Roo or Hen? 3 breeds - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redvespa90, Mar 28, 2012.

1. redvespa90

redvespa90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    'Martha' 3-4 week old BR

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

'Bunny' 3-5 week old EE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

June - who is now Juno - we're pretty sure he's a roo. 3-4 week mystery white chick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    boy/girl/boy

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

All look like boys to me. The EE could be a pullet, but it has such slow feathering...

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

marthe should be a mark
    bunny is good name for hen
    juno gonna be good roo

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    They all 3 look like roos to me right now. The ee maybe a pullet but im not sure i think i see some of that red that only cockerels get

6. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Boy/girl/depends on the breed, some of our wlh hens have huge combs, don't let that fool you.

7. redvespa90

Mar 12, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    So it really doesn't matter if they have a developing comb? Juno is obviously a boy though right? But there might be hope for Martha to still be a hen?

I've heard so many conflicting things. Someone told me you really can't be sure until they crow or lay an egg. Is that true?

8. the1much

to be truthful,,ya its true, ive seen many many MANY different ways people use to GUESS,, but only real way is cock-a-doodle-doo,, or kaplunk egg lol
    on breeds like leghorns the hens comb can be as big as the roos at first, which is what juno looks like a leghorn, if he is a she lol, then after a while that comb will flop over,, martha could be either or,, my guess is she is a mark or mike lol. but in about 3 to 4 months youll be closer to answering your own question. kinda confusing aint it. its suppose to be, thats why we addicted to em lol

9. redvespa90

Mar 12, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    It's definitely a challenge. The only thing is I'm not allowed to keep roosters, just hens - so the sooner I can find out te better. I'm also WAY to easily attached and the longer they stay the more attached I get. =\ It is fun to try and guess what's going on. I suppose people with a lot of experience with a certain breed are the best to ask since they know the trend of what hens and roos look like growing up. I definitely don't want to get rid of anyone prematurely. I'll wait until its a sure thing.

10. the1much

i had hundreds, even thousands of birds and alot of different breeds,,trust when i say,, it never really gets easier lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by