Need help hatching in Brinsea

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kennedyscochins, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I have a new brinsea octagon 20 ex. I am due to go on lockdown tomorrow. Do I remove the egg dividers and lay the eggs on their side or do I just keep them as they are?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, remove the egg dividers, and let the eggs roll to their sides. Either unplug or remove the egg turner cradle.

Don't forget to up the humidity! (I set mine to 68%.)

3. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Okay, thanks. I knew about the humidity and turning off the cradle, just didn't know to leave the eggs as they were or not. I am hoping for a great hatch! This incubator has been awesome so far!

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Good luck!!

5. pfmoore17

pfmoore17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    You will have a great hatch!
    Be sure to clean up well.

6. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I do also have another question. I have my humidity alarm set to go off if the humidity changes 1.8 degrees. I currently have it set on 45 degrees with no problems. However, one morning I woke up and I had kinked the hose from the pump the night before when I removed the lid and the humidity was 34%, but there was no alarm going off. Am I doing something wrong?

7. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I have the Brinsea Eco, so I cannot comment on your humidity alarm. Yes, you remove the dividers and unplug the turning cradle. I hope you have an amazing hatch. I have had very good hatches with my Brinsea. Even one 100% hatch with shipped eggs. Good hatching!!! [​IMG]

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    What is the floor like in your incubator? The floor in the Brinsea Mini is SUPER smooth, slippery plastic. It "must" be covered with something rougher for the safety of the chicks. I have shelf liner cut to fit. It is under the eggs. You can't have it in the Mini until you take the turner out, though. I'm not sure about the materials in your incubator.

9. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:No problems with the floor. It's plastic with small holes in it. Should work fine for chicks.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm not aware of an humidity alarm, just a level. The alarm is for temperature high or low, or loss of power. The humidity pump can only ADD or maintain humidity at the set level and cannot lower it if it's too high. (You have to vent it yourself.)

Did you unit come with the foam "bumpers" for the egg tray dividers? It should also have a thin piece of foam the same size as the plastic tray, which also helps the chicks from sliding on the plastic tray itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by