Need help heating my coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by saraiquimby1, Aug 1, 2014.

1. saraiquimby1

saraiquimby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My chicks went outside at 3.5 weeks old and it was only 50 in the day time! They'll be fine!
    I wouldn't worry.

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Well, I would caution that "don't paint yourself into a corner".

Why rush to get them out? Wait till their feathers are in or around 2 months.

Just me observation: With 2 nests in the coop, food, water, ramp and low ceiling (2ft?), there seems to be very ltttle real space. The run below looks to be 12" high, it would not allow the chicken to flap its wings. What is going to keep the rain out of screen window?

The chickens will live in tight quarters, but...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Being in Indiana myself - I would not hesitate to put 4-5 week old birds out in the weather we are having of late, and I would not use supplemental heat when doing so.
    That said, I have a couple of concerns in looking at your coop if you are interested in hearing them.

5. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I believe the enclosure to be a bit short for adult birds, little ones will be ok. It could make an ok brooder. I don't take chicks out until after four weeks, and if there is not a pressing need, I let them stay longer.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

6. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, if people see design flaws that can mean serious issues for you and your flock you don't wish to hear them? Okay, good luck I guess.
    As for the measurements - dimensions of coops generally provide length and width, not height - so writing 2x4 indicates a coop that is 2 feet wide by four feet long which would = 8 square feet of floor space. If you wish to include height that is added as a third number so L x W x H would be a better way of indicating the height of the structure as that is the more common format to use with building/plans/construction and will more clearly demonstrate to those reading what it is you are saying.

4 people like this.
  8. RJSorensen

There might be a reason no one offered a vote to put a heating pad in your enclosure. Either none of your responders thought it a good idea, or no one offers as of yet a heating pad for chicken. Perhaps you could put a reptile warmer or other such? You are on the cutting edge in using heating pads with chickens. You'll have to let us know how it works out.

Of the 'viewers' of your post, who did not respond, I would suppose that they have no better idea at all, than those whom did. The size of your coop with one foot removed for nesting boxes is 2 x 3 = 6 square feet. The BYC standard for coops, and especially smaller ones is 4 square feet per bird. So 3 x 4 = 12 square feet needed for healthy confinement of birds. I do not see where your feed and waterer are, so I am hoping they are external somewhere?

Most posters here were just being polite in helping you avoid problems as we head toward the winter season. They are your birds, do as you wish. With 2 square feet per bird in a squatty enclosure you will learn quickly by yourself, just what you need.

Best of luck,

RJ

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana

10. RJSorensen

Sorry I got off topic… I will do my best to just stick to the facts in the future. I see you are a Vet Tech and you love animals, that is good by me. I took the liberty of looking into your other posts and found, among other things, the following.

"Ok I live in a neighborhood that may frown on the fact that I have chickens. I built a coop myself that is 4x2 with a 2x2 spot being completely covered with nesting boxes, and the other 2x2 spot has screen on one side, and is flush against the ground so they can be in the grass. I'm wondering if it is going to hurt them to be in there 24/7 until next may. I am moving in may so they will be in a much larger area in about 9 months. Right now they are only a week old so..."

[​IMG]

Best of luck on this,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by