Need Help. Hen with purple comb, possible sour crop but stressed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keltown, Nov 5, 2016.

1. keltown

keltown Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Santa Rosa, CA
    We have been treating our hen for bumblefoot for about 2 weeks with Tricide Neo. We've been pulling her off the roost at night to do it. The good news is I think the bumblefoot is gone but I noticed every morning very watery droppings under where she roosts. Now today she has been in her nest box all day and her comb is purple. She hasn't layed eggs since we started her treatments for her foot and I attributed the watery droppings to us stressing her out. I checked her vent and didn't feel an egg but her crop is very full and watery feeling. We tried tipping her upside down to get her to throw up a few times but didn't work. Now I'm just so afraid we are stressing her out even more. I gave her a little water in a syringe with a drop of apple cider vinegar and left her in the nest box. I think I need to just leave her be but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions, poor girl.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The purple comb is likely a sign that she needs oxygen: when blood cells loose oxygen, they turn purple. I have seen a hen whose comb was alost completely black/purple she was so sick, and she was likely an internal layer. The watery feeling crop means she isn't eating, which isn't good. If you can get her to eat anything; treats, bread, etc., let her have as much as she wants. Stress probably is playing a roll in her health. It might be taking a toll on her immune system, so she could be sick.
    If you have a wire dog crate that will fit in your coop, set her up in that. This way she doesn't have to walk around to far to eat and drink.
    Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Turning her upside down to try and "vomit her" can be dangerous, sometimes causing aspiration or choking. There is a certain way to do it, and that can be risky. While I don't know why her comb is turning purple, that could be a possibility. Does her comb stay purple, or does it pink up at times? Sour crop usually is accompanied by a rotten odor from the beak. Check her crop in early morning to see if it has emptied, and if not, confine her with water treated with electrolytes only. Then check her crop again later. Massage the crop several times a day. Crops can become slow to function during many illnesses. Here is some info about crop problems:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. keltown

keltown Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Thank you for the information. I will check on her in the morning. Will try electrolyte water and massage. I didn't smell anything sour even when we attempted to vomit her. I noticed today she had pea sized hard poops when she's been having very watery poops the last couple of weeks. Her comb stayed purple all afternoon.

5. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

If you can't smell anything, then it probably isn't sour crop.
    Is she "tame?" or is she a pain in the butt to catch? (Of course, my "tame" chickens are sometimes, too [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by