Need help..Holding eggs prior to incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sideplate, Sep 17, 2009.

1. sideplate

sideplate New Egg

Sep 24, 2008
    Tennessee
    Someone please give me some ideas on how to build or purchase a device to hold my hatching eggs prior to setting. All the experts recommend holding eggs at a temperature of 50-60 degrees F and not going more than 7-10 days. I only need to hold them 3 days, but my problem is the temperature.
    I have tried old refrigerators, but they will not get up to the 50 degree mark (too cold). Where I live in the South East, we are still getting daytime temps in the high 80’s to 90 and nighttime temps in the upper 60’s. I have no area that stays cool in the 50-60 degree range.
    Any clever contraptions out there????

Thanks for the help in advance

Ken

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I stuck mine in the pantry where the cats couldn't get to them for 5 days and it was in the upper 90's that week. I keep my AC on 80 and so far 4 of the 5 are fine, due to hatch 9/23.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
  4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    BONUS: I just read the description further. Apparently, the Haier Thermal Electric 6 Bottle Wine Cooler I not only holds your red or white wines at the perfect temperature, it also "protects your wines from the harmful vibrations of compressor cooling... featuring a thermal electric cooling system that will not disturb the sediments in your wine" [​IMG]. Well, at least you'll know it won't jiggle your hatching eggs around too much!

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. For holding less than 7 days, the temp is really not that crucial. You'll be fine at standard room temp--just think, a broody doesn't have the benefit of a wine cooler, regardless much more fun that might be for her. [​IMG]

6. sideplate

sideplate New Egg

Sep 24, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hey, Thats a great idea!! I realize it may be overkill for just the 3 days, but I set about 200 eggs at a time and need the hatch to be as high percentage as possible. I'm trying to be "over the top" careful. Thanks for the great idea!!!!

Ken

7. sideplate

sideplate New Egg

Sep 24, 2008
    Tennessee
    Found a 25 bottle wine cooler on Craigs List for $50.00!!! It works great. Holds temp right at 55-60.

Great idea...again thank you

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow, cool find! Glad it's working for you. [​IMG] Funny thing--I just looked at someone's incubator design on here, based on a wine cooler--makes sense--other than the direction of temp (cooling rather than heating), a wine cooler & an incubator already have a lot in common. Wish I could remember whose design it was.

Anyway, I'm glad you found that and it's working for you. [​IMG]

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Egg cartons in a closet work, too. I got 100% hatch rates with eggs stored that way. But if you like fancy (I do too) then go ahead!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by