Need help. I was given a ??dark cornish?? I think.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mhaines4102, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    It is a big beautiful bird but I am not sure it is a Cornish. I am pretty sure that the man that the rooster originally came from got it from a hatchery and raised it up. I don't think he had any crosses, but he might have. I just am not sure it looks like the pictures I have seen of a Cornish roo. Boy he has some nice sized spurs on him! He seems gentle enough, a little flighty but not panic-y. [​IMG] Anyway. what do you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, I can't help with breed...but .....Holy cow! Look at those legs! [​IMG]

3. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    One more sideways.

[​IMG]

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Maybe they were attempting to make an oriental bird??? Like a Malay or Asil????

Otherwise I'd agree with Dark Cornish, but he stands too tall for that and also doesn't have the breast that a dark cornish would have.

5. SeramaSweetie

SeramaSweetie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    Thomaston, Georgia
    I doubt that's a dark cornish, I'm not positive tho. He may be part cornish tho, he doesn't look stocky enough.... [​IMG] Hmmmmm...... I think I had a Dark Cornish once and It didn't look like that, though I might be mistaken.

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Looks like a hatchery dark cornish roo to me !

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I agree Hatchery Dark Cornish Roo, tree stump legs, close feathering, along with the iffy iffy stock hatchery look.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Hatchery cornish.

9. leejaehwa

leejaehwa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    Arkansas
    maybe part black australorp?

10. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Sorry. He's just a bird. A dark cornish will look nothing like that. They are short, squatty birds with large eyes. I would not even say he's a hatchery cornish. He's just a cross breed. I dark cornish looks like a dark cornish, not kinda like one. He's just a mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by