1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Identfying Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FortuneChick, Nov 28, 2016.

1. FortuneChick

FortuneChick Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    Adopted this bird today. It's owner could not tell me what it is. Can anyone take a crack at it? I have no clue. Could it be a hen or a rooster? It's a punk rock chicken with feathered feet. I can't find a breed that matches any of its features.

Thank You so much!!! You all are the experts. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Silkie mix, and it's a cockerel.

3. FortuneChick

Nov 6, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    Really ? It's a small little bird. It's very docile. What do you think it's mixed with ? So it is a cockerel ? It's not making any typical cockerel sounds, but it might just be a baby still .

It was super hungry , poor thing. I'm happy to have him.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, silkie mix cockerel. The Silkie traits are dominant enough it can be hard to id the other breed, but here I'd feel okay throwing bantam Cochin out there. The heaviness of the feathers on the legs makes me think the other parent was also feather legged, and the over all fluff and shape could be Cochin mix. Could well have been a gold laced Cochin, that would explain the funky coloring with partial lacing.

He's young yet, I'd say 11-13 weeks maybe. That's why he's not showing male behavior, he's basically still a baby.

5. FortuneChick

Nov 6, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    Yes, he's got pretty coloring . He's got purples and greens . He's really small. My other chickens weren't taking to him too well , but they are all doing well now. He joined them on the roost.

Is this breed aggressive ?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I hatched out a fair amount of silkie/bantam Cochin crosses last spring. They were basically wimps with the rest of the flock, I had them with mature large fowl birds and same age large fowl chicks. They were scrappy enough they didn't get bullied, but they definitely had to wait their turns to eat, things like that. I didn't keep any long enough to say how the mature cocks acted. But the parent breeds are traditionally pretty docile and make great pets.

7. FortuneChick

Nov 6, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    Thank you so much for all of the information. I really do appreciate it.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old? Looks like a silkie x gold laced Wyandotte - very pretty. I think cockerel by it's stance and the size of it's comb.

9. FortuneChick

Nov 6, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    I believe it's still young from what others have posted. The other feedback I've gotten is 11-13 weeks ... Cockerel as well .

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm going to go against the tide here....and that's a pretty amazing tide as these are very experienced bird identifiers.

However, hasn't anyone noticed in the 2nd photo what looks like two horns forming on the comb? The comb looks like a walnut/horn combination.

I'm going to say that there is Polish or Sultan in the background....that accounts for some horn in the comb. (I'm honestly not sure what a walnut/horn produces genetically).

I think the other parent heritage could be Silkie. That accounts for the black skin and Silkie-ish presence. How many toes?

The OP alone can tell me if there are truly small horns on the comb or if that is photo angle aberration.

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by