1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Identifing a Feather Eating Pest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 27strong, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 27strong

27strong Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    I saw it today its has been eating one of my hens feathers she is bare backed and her feather are crude...hens don't molt for 1 and a half years straight lol...anyway today I found 1 of them. For a while now I have been wondering what is wrong with her but today,,,

Okay so this guy was small, 1mm or less in size. Color was like transperant to light brownish but it was definitely a tiny clear looking bug. I also noticed it has a red line in the middle of its stomach.

I know these things have been eating my chickens feathers because entire flock had them but somehow they manage to recover all but 1. So I have Diotenasious Earth. But what else can I do to kill them and have my hen grow her feathers back.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Perhaps Sevin dust would be helpful as well.

3. 27strong

27strong Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    but what kind of pest is it? i dont think its a mite...its small whitish bug i have seen it on other chickens as well. but it doesnt look like anything like a red mite ir watever it is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by