Need Help Identify my chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SheenSD, Apr 13, 2017.

1. SheenSD

SheenSD New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Hello,

I'm new to this thread and new with raising chickens. I have two ameraucana's, one black paint and two rhode island red's . Every morning I will hear one of the chickens trying to crow. I'm assuming it's the one in the picture below only because he/she is developing faster than the other ameraucana. When and how can you tell if this might be a rooster??[​IMG]

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    The rooster will have a more red face, and will develop saddle feathers at the base of the tail. They're pointy and shiny. They will get hackle at the neck feathers which will be point as well.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    looks like a cockerel to me

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Egger cockerel.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

6. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Cockerel for sure. Did you get them from a feed store or hatchery, because that cockerel sure isn't an Ameraucana, he's an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers often come into feed stores labeled as ameraucanas, and most hatcheries call their Easter Egger stock ameraucanas.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  7. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Sheen, That is a EE Cockerel.

Minnowey, I read somewhere that there is so such thing as a Americauna.Feed Stores, Breeders and Htxheries label them Americauna's, when they are really EE's.

8. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Ameraucanas are indeed very rare, but they are still a breed. It's true, that most hatcheries label EEs as Ameraucanas, and feed stores, who usually get their chicks from hatcheries do as well. There are breeders out there who do the same thing. Some breeders do own pure ameraucanas, and I know that MyPetChicken and Meyer hatchery sell true Ameraucauna, as well as EEs.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Americauna is an intentional misspelling of the word Ameraucana. Some hatcheries and feed stores will use misspellings to trick uneducated buyers.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How true !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by